walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blast from the past #1: Ben Hiant, Ardnamurchan, 2005

Blast from the past #1: Ben Hiant, Ardnamurchan, 2005

Postby bobble_hat_kenny » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:48 pm

Route description: Ben Hiant, Ardnamurchan

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Ben Hiant

Date walked: 24/09/2005

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 4.5 km

Ascent: 350m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The first of two Blasts from the Past, and this one from the fairly distant past - September 2005, to my best recollection :? ...
I haven't managed out walking since the beginning of August, due to 'That Toad, Work' as Philip Larkin puts it :lol: , and I've had to content myself with a bit of armchair hill-bagging in the form of looking through old photos :? .
I do remember an outing up Ben Hiant a long time ago fairly clearly, but I didn't realise that I had a photographic record of it! It's a great wee hill, very possibly my favourite Sub2K Marilyn to date, so it's nice to be able to do a WR for it, even it it is 12 years late :lol: .
This was a big family outing to Kilchoan Hotel, Ardnamurchan during (I think) the September weekend of 2005. Our weather was mixed, but some of us took advantage of a dry spell on the Saturday to go up Ben Hiant. As far as I remember, it was the standard ascent route as per the website route description (see below).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The ascent party consisted of: yours truly; my good pals and longtime drinking buddies Gordon & Aileen from just down the road; plus Marko who is a Londoner and had never been up any Marilyn before, in Scotland or elsewhere.
It was a bit of a spur-of-the-moment thing, and none of us had the proper gear: Aileen went up in her wellies, while Marko was wearing jeans & trainers I think. Nevertheless, we made it to the top without mishap, and managed to get some semi-decent views before the Clag descended :) . From left to right, Marko, BHK and Aileen:
WR2 - Marko, BHK & Aileen at Ben Hiant trig point.JPG

And this time, Marko, BHK and Gordon. Marko well impressed with his first hill!
WR3 - Marko, BHK & Gordon at Ben Hiant trig point.JPG

A fine vista right across Mull:
WR4 - view to Mull from Ben Hiant summit.JPG

And a rather hazier view of Eigg:
WR5 - view of Eigg from Ben Hiant summit.JPG

The next day (I think, although my memory is a bit vague), we took the Kilchoan to Tobermory ferry, and got a good view of Ben Hiant as we sailed past - definitely a very distinguished wee hill!
WR1 - Ben Hiant I think from Kilchoan-Tobermory ferry.JPG

After an early lunch in Tobermory, we made our way back to Kilchoan in improving weather, and managed a beach barbecue, no less, at Sanna Sands late that afternoon - something that has since become a bit of a family tradition, but I think this was the first one... (The hill in the background is Meall Sanna - not a Marilyn, but a very nice miniature hill nonetheless; I've been up it since then; it has a cairn at the top and everything, and enjoys fine Hebridean views as might be expected.)
WR6 - Beach barbecue with Meall Sanna in the background.JPG

Good memories :) !
bobble_hat_kenny
Mountaineer

Munros:238   Corbetts:43
Fionas:43   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:2

Re: Blast from the past #1: Ben Hiant, Ardnamurchan, 2005

Postby litljortindan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:48 pm

A good bit of retro-reporting of a fine hill. Usually (!) a rewarding experience to introduce someone to the hills too.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland