walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aonach Eagach

Aonach Eagach

Postby Coop » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:03 pm

Route description: Aonach Eagach

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 31/08/2017

Time taken: 6.75 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 1100m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Cancelled in June and rescheduled for today.
Shuffling of cars. 2 at the car park on the a82/ Clachaig turnoff and 2 up across from the 3 sisters at the start point.

9am good to go and and excellent path in places all the way up to am bodach. Here the helmets and harnesses went on and we set off.
And almost immediately you're into a down ward scramble. This wakes you up and tells you it's time to switch on.
Just took my time looking for holds facing the mountain at times. Then it's back to walking. A few up and downs and meall dearg is upon you. Nows the time to bail if the pinnacles you see ahead arent for you.
We went up the chimney down another tight one and across some airy bits.
There's one or two wee bypass type paths but they'd probably be dodgier than going up and over everything.
Only once did I stop to think when i looked down on a rather exposed section. "Im a bit close here and it's a big drop".
Time to move on and the scrambling comes to an end.
Lunchtime or as I did - potter about and look across at how magnificent the 3 sisters and bidean looked.
Dropped the Bergan at a beallach before the wee pull up to the summit of Sgorr nam fiannaidh. ( as we were coming back this way for the descent :shock: )
Up to the shelter and remains of an old trig point
And then back to pick up the Bergan.
And then it was a case of " take care on the scree- go :D

Unbelievable Jeff

Cap doffed to The Aonach Eagach

Cheers
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland