walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Getting back into the swing on the Goet

Getting back into the swing on the Goet

Postby Alfachick » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:03 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Tirran

Date walked: 02/09/2017

Time taken: 3.75 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 714m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a disappointing summer where I managed to hardly see the outside let alone the hills I finally had a weekend where I didn't have some other commitments (moving house, getting married, going on holiday etc etc :lol: ) so I grabbed the opportunity to get out and about and turn another local red ballon blue.

So as I mentioned it has been a while since I have been out on the hills so I picked a relatively easy walk up Glen Clova where I would have the opportunity to bag a corbett a trig and also a hard to reach geocache.

What a day for it! The weather was gorgeous, sunshine and a slight breeze to stop you getting too warm. :D

IMG_1895.jpg
View back down the track to Glen Clova and Forfar beyond.

After a bit of a slog up the track to the loch where I managed to miss the turning off to the right for the hill I had to cut cross country through the heather all the time thinking "wheres the track I should be on it by now" finally I crossed it then up we went. The dog not having been bothered by the heather at all. The top of Ben Tirran was soon reached and a quick jaunt over to the trig point bagged the Corbett and the trig. An excellent place for a late lunch. The views were great today, I could see all the way to Fife in the South, Bennachie in the North, Lochnagar in the West and of course the sea in the East. Mount Keen was an obvious landmark to the North as well.

IMG_1887.jpg
The dog enjoying another trig point ;)

So sandwich consumed we set off for this geocache, I was wondering where I was being led as it felt like we were going to walk off the back wall of the corrie. I shouldn't have worried though as we got to an amazing view point for Loch Wharrel and Glen Clova. Brilliant. Then came the off piste walk back to the path, I contoured around the edge of the corrie and then joined the path again.

IMG_1894.jpg
Loch Wharral.

All in a good day on the hill, however I am certainly not hill fit this summer! More effort required to get out and about on them. Perhaps as life settles down a bit now I will have more time to get out. Fingers crossed! :roll:
Alfachick
Bird-watcher

Munros:39   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:35   
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Getting back into the swing on the Goet

Postby PeteR » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:13 am

Certainly not a bad hill to reintroduce you to the hills :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland