walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Andrewhinny Hill

Andrewhinny Hill

Postby Craiging619 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:07 am

Fionas included on this walk: Andrewhinney Hill

Donalds included on this walk: Andrewhinney Hill

Date walked: 18/02/2017

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 3.8 km

Ascent: 390m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

In February I headed South to the Borders for the first time, as the weather forecast predicted brightening skies near the Moffat area. Unfortunately that proved to be a tad on the wishful side, as not only did the dark clouds refuse to budge as I headed past Abington, the rain started as well. :( To make matters worse, the first 200m climbing from the lay-by were genuinely some of the steepest I've ever encountered, leaving me to question my own fitness. Thankfully after reaching 500m it eased off signifcantly, and despite the low cloud I was able to leave the fence as it took a sharp left turn and head straight on up to Mid Rig and the summit of Andrewhinny Hill.

In typical fashion it started to brighten up slightly as I descended, so with a bit of spare time left I drove on down to see the Grey Mare's Tail for the first time. It looked just as spectacular as I expected, and no doubt helped by all the recent rain. Andrewhinny Hill, though, is a steep little challenge, but at least it's a short climb (and from other reports the local views seem brilliant on a clear day). With more time and better weather I would have continued onto the other Donalds on the ridge, but maybe if I ever get round to focussing on the Donalds I'll return here one day. :D

Craiging619
Hill Bagger

Munros:70   Corbetts:33
Fionas:40   Donalds:39+9
Sub 2000:22   
Islands:21
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland