walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Source of the Spey wander

Source of the Spey wander

Postby basscadet » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:51 am

Date walked: 22/08/2017

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 30.5 km

Ascent: 286m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So the weather looked a little bit pants, but had to get away, so settled for a wee wander from Garva Bridge through to Luib Chonnal bothy for the night for some R & R.

Luib Chonnal 22 8 17.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Didn't arrive at Garva Bridge until the after noon, and set out along the corrieyairack road - foot killer! I had worn my boots on account of the potential boggyness of the path going through to Glen Roy. Turned out to be the right call.. There was a lot of work being done to the pylons that go through the pass, but must confess that the way they are carrying them out, makes for minimum eyesore and noise - well done constructors I thought :wink: It was beautiful, lots of BOPs, Buzzards fighting with crows and a hen harrier watching me from a big boulder. There was a track to Shesganan, but the path beyond was 'indistinct' to say the least. I struggled over tussocky, boggy ground before picking up the (very boggy) path again as it climbed up above Loch Spey. There I was treated to some impressive diving from an osprey and a sighting of an otter :D The river was alive with salmon indeed, and a feeding frenzy was in full swing further on - Ospreys, Otters, Herons, seagulls all were having a fine feast as the salmon all converged on the smallest, shallowest part of the spey beyond the loch to spawn - Never seen the like before and it drew my attention for a long time. I could see the bothy anyway, and the boggy path continued right down to it. I crossed the Allt Chonnal by the ford - looked shallow enough to make it over with dry feet, but there were some deep bits and definitely some damp socks, but didn't matter so close to the bothy.
What a bothy it was - enough wood to stay for the entire winter and a cosy room upstairs with nice velux windows proviing ample light. I did contemplate putting my tent up on the other side of the Allt Connel, as heavy rain was forecast overnight, and had fears that the river would be uncrossable in the morning, but the fire was too cosy so as the evening wore on, I couldnt be bothered so didnt. Lots of owls round there and a lovely hooting soundtrack to the evening. I took a trip over to the white waterfall, but couldn't get across the river Roy so was disappointed :?
The morning came and while there had been rain overnight, the river levels had not risen too much yet, so I hotfooted it back. The rain came on about 10 minutes after I left and was heavy :? Found the path to Shesgnan, which was partly good walking, and partly through very marshy ground. The rain had made the stream there very hard but not impossible to cross then I was back on the track, on the home straight. The rain went off at that point, and everything was fine again. I had seen a lot of Capercaillie droppings on the track so I had been hopeful of seeing one, and sure enough I disturbed a male who flew of with a grumpy noise - amazing 8)
An uneventful trot back concluded the trip, which was one of the best wildlife trips I have been on, and came back with batteries fully recharged so mission accomplished :D

ImageDSCN3150 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3152 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3153 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3154 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3155 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3151 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3168 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3166 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3164 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3162 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3159 by Seana Carroll

ImageDSCN3158 by Seana Carroll
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland