walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

CCP - Ruin 1 Mile North of Loch Ordie

CCP - Ruin 1 Mile North of Loch Ordie

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:23 am

Date walked: 04/09/2017

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 25.8 km

Ascent: 387m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As usual the alarm went off at 4:30am but this morning I switched it off and went back to sleep. Eight hours later I was still annoyed with myself so drove over to Dunkeld to grab a walk before the predicted rain set in. I'm used to a 6am car park, not 1:30pm - it's busy.

Today was to be 16 miles rather than the 12 miles I seem to have been doing since July but the brain didn't send the message to the legs as they took off at 12 mile pace. I was at Mill Dam in 32:54, Raor Lodge in 54:24 and the bridge at the far end of Loch Ordie in 1:26. This is a minute under my record pace for 12 miles and it was tempting to turn round and try and beat 2:50 but I resisted.

I reached my turning point in 1:55, in the winter I'm delighted with anything around 2hrs but conditions are worse and underfoot conditions tend to be muddier beyond Loch Ordie.

A quick sandwich and I am on the return leg which is about a mile longer as I always do a big loop back to Loch Ordie. The clouds are rolling in on a strong wind and it's unlikely I will stay dry.

Keeping up a fast pace is hard back to Loch Ordie as the track is muddier and I use up a lot of energy, a quick check of the Garmin at Loch Ordie tells me I have a chance of breaking 4hrs for 16 miles so I have managed to keep a good pace on the rougher ground. I now need to give it everything I have on the last leg back to Cally Car Park. My stride is slightly shorter which is a sure sign that I am tired but I battle on as fast as I can.

At Mill Dam I see that I am at 3:28 so 31 mins for the last 2 and a bit miles will see me home so I bash on. Still dry I am at the car park in a total time of 3:58, the Holy Grail is achieved at an average walking pace of 4mph. I'm delighted but know this will not be achievable once I switch to this route in the winter months.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland