walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A moral dilemma in Glen Lyon

A moral dilemma in Glen Lyon

Postby Jaxter » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:49 pm

Route description: Stuchd an Lochain

Munros included on this walk: Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon), Stùcd an Lochain

Corbetts included on this walk: Cam Chreag (Glen Lyon)

Date walked: 09/08/2017

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 23.9 km

Ascent: 1536m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

David and I had been trying to do a hike for ages but the stars had never quite managed to align. However, with David spending a few days in Killin we worked out a plan for me to drive up. The hill he had his eyes on was Beinn an Lochain, a hill I had yet to climb. We met at the dam (well actually David caught me up just before it as I stopped to check I was on the correct road :lol: ) and we booted up.

The route was obvious as we headed down towards the bridge, and headed up the road.

Loch an Daimh

Soon the path branched off and we followed it steeply uphill. It was steep and it was nice to have someone to talk to as a distraction :lol:

The dam and back down Glen Lyon

David was clearly finding it quite difficult and it was really inspiring to see the determination with which he went about it!

David absolutely nailing it with Loch an Daimh behind

Looking back, the views were opening out nicely and it was shaping up to be as nice a day as the forecast had suggested (although I'd had my doubts when there had been a bit of rain coming over the Lawers road :shock: )

I noticed a wee memorial part way up; I don’t know who David Reed was but he had one hell of a view :thumbup:

A good distance up, David decided he had had enough. He had climbed a good way but was concerned about how long it would take him to get down. After a photo shoot David assured me that he would be fine going down alone so we parted ways.

It was a steep climb up to the ridge where the views became more impressive…

Down to Loch an Daimh

Beinn an Lochain summit ahead

But more importantly the gradient eased :lol: The ridge ahead looked really interesting and it was a really enjoyable walk along to the summit of Beinn an Lochain. Although after climbing Corbetts for the last month the whole concept of a path was unusual :lol: It was a fabulous viewpoint and I was enjoying playing with lenses on the fancy camera.

Sron a’Choire Chnapanich ahead

Chnapanich and Meall Buidhe with Glencoe behind

Rannoch Mor and Glencoe

South towards Loch Lyon

Time for a pose!

Towards Bridge of Orchy and Tyndrum

Back along the ridge and towards the Lawers hills

Pointy McPointyFace

The Big Bookle and Black Mount

Lawers and friends

Loch Lyon and Orchy hills

Loch Lyon dam

Rannoch Mor, Glencoe and Mamores

As I was checking the map for my next move - to head along the ridge towards Chnapanich I was caught up by a guy whose name I don't remember but who had a greater effect on my day than I expected…. It turned out he had the plan of doing the circuit but had checked the stalking notices and discovered that that area was out of bounds.

I now had a moral dilemma. I had not checked the board. It hadn't occurred to me to think about stalking at the beginning of August. There didn't seem to be anyone out and had I not met my new friend I would have continued and probably been none the wiser. But now I did know….

Annoyed, but trying to do the right thing I retraced my steps with my new pal. He turned out to be good company and we chatted away all the way down. Back at the cars I saw that David had gone which meant he'd not only got down safely but also made excellent time!

We chatted to another guy out camping before I headed for Meall Buidhe seeing as I was there, and my friend for his caravan.

It was initially easy walking along the track before the path branched off. As I'd been warned it was a bit of a bog-fest and I squelched my way upwards.

Lawers hills

Down Loch an Daimh

The path seemed to mutate and there were many different sections of it. Eventually I arrived at a sort of Coll, and a final climb took me onto the ridge.

Summit ahoy!

From the ridge it was an easy walk around to the summit of Meall Buidhe which was an even better viewpoint than Beinn an Lochain,

Schiehallion

Lawers range

Beinn an Lochain with Ben More behind

Schiehallion again – looks odd without it’s white coat!

Ben Nevis

Loch Rannoch and Ben Alder range behind

Jaxter special

I could see right down Glencoe and with the aid of super duper lens I was able to get a half decent shot of it :lol:

Ben Nevis

Orchy hills

Schiehallion

Mamores

I think this is Ben Cruachan

Ben Lawers

Zoomed

It was pretty windy so I found a wee sheltered spot for a sandwich and consulted the map. Now I make no secret of my hatred of out-and-back routes and despite my best laid plans today was turning out to be two of them. Something in me snapped. Looking across at Cam Creag, I could see no stalkers and no deer. It was late in the afternoon and if I took a straight line across I would be on “out of bound” land for only a few kilometres….

I walked back along the ridge to the Coll where it was decision time…. The official story is that I went back down and this is me photoshopped on the summit of Cam Creag, which I'm sure is a fabulous viewpoint too…

obviously these photos are not mine as I wasn't there :wink:

A perfect example of a hanging valley – Geography A level 8)

Looking back at Meall Buidhe from an undisclosed location

Lawers range

Tarmachan Ridge

Schiehallion and Glen Lyon hills

Loch Rannoch

Meall Ghaordie I think?

Beinn an Lochain

Crianlarich hills

Tarmachan Ridge again

Kinloch Rannoch

Zoomed top of Beinn an Lochain

The zoom on this thing is awesome :lol:

Ben More

Lawers

Ghaordie

Corbetts

All the Lawers hills

The sun starting to set

Final descent

Back at the dam

It was a tired but satisfied Jaxter that returned to the car.

It was a lovely drive back over the pass

Lochan na Lairige

I'll definitely return to do the circuit another time, but at least I know not to attempt it between July and September :roll:

Loch an Daimh.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: A moral dilemma in Glen Lyon

Postby Sgurr » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:03 pm

I think this may be the answer to David Reed. Googled in images, and came to this

https://stv.tv/news/tayside/1387367-hillwalker-dies-suddenly-on-perth-and-kinross-munro/

I see there was no sign of stalking. We have done most of the Carn Mairg 4 from Fortingall at a time when stalking notices have been up at the estate, without a sign of any activity.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Jaxter » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:07 pm

Sgurr wrote:I think this may be the answer to David Reed. Googled in images, and came to this

https://stv.tv/news/tayside/1387367-hillwalker-dies-suddenly-on-perth-and-kinross-munro/

I see there was no sign of stalking. We have done most of the Carn Mairg 4 from Fortingall at a time when stalking notices have been up at the estate, without a sign of any activity.

Oh wow so that was pretty recent then :shock:

Yeah...I did feel pretty bad about it, if people start ignoring the rules then all sorts of access laws will get challenged :? But you're right, there was no stalking that day!
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:07 pm

Who's been playing with their new toy, then???

Well, it's been worth it: some really great panoramic pics here - they look particularly good when blown up to fill a big screen :clap: :clap: .

I haven't done these yet, but I too faced a moral dilemma when I did the munros on the north side further down the glen...

ImageIMG_1076[/url] by Alter Knacker

I can't begin to describe how hard my conscience wrestled with the moral dilemma here....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:22 pm

I would not take any heed of signs in this area ...
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby KatTai » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:13 am

Love the "photoshopping" :lol:
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:03 pm

Incredibly clever use of drone to take photos of somewhere you didn't go?

Once again, most of us would probably have taken the easy option, and just done one hill that day instead.

Collaciotach wrote:I would not take any heed of signs in this area ...

So I've heard, this "estate" has the reputation of posting misinformation to discourage visitors.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby dav2930 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:02 pm

Convincing bit of photoshopping - I'd have sworn you were actually there on Cam Creag :lol:

Some great zoom shots with that fancy lens of yours. Looked an interesting day with good weather and views. Well done for defying the dubious signage to bag the Corbett. I think your decision was the morally right one. :wink:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby prog99 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:47 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Incredibly clever use of drone to take photos of somewhere you didn't go?

Once again, most of us would probably have taken the easy option, and just done one hill that day instead.

So I've heard, this "estate" has the reputation of posting misinformation to discourage visitors.

Is everyone mistaking it for north chesthill? I remember a board with a large harveys map with preferred routes if they were stalking but nothing discouraging whole hills.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Jaxter » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:46 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Who's been playing with their new toy, then???

Well, it's been worth it: some really great panoramic pics here - they look particularly good when blown up to fill a big screen :clap: :clap: .

I haven't done these yet, but I too faced a moral dilemma when I did the munros on the north side further down the glen...

ImageIMG_1076[/url] by Alter Knacker

I can't begin to describe how hard my conscience wrestled with the moral dilemma here....

My new toy is amazing :D :D
Im glad it's not just me facing these sorts of dilemmas. I'm assuming you swam across the river :lol:

I was a bit worried about being shot :shock: Except that there were no dear anyway and I was wearing some pretty bright colours 8) :D

KatTai wrote:Love the "photoshopping" :lol:

Amazing skillz eh :lol: :lol:

Mal Grey wrote:Incredibly clever use of drone to take photos of somewhere you didn't go?

Aye these drones are pretty good eh :lol: :lol:
I was missing Corbetts and needed one to make me feel better :lol:

dav2930 wrote:Convincing bit of photoshopping - I'd have sworn you were actually there on Cam Creag :lol:

Some great zoom shots with that fancy lens of yours. Looked an interesting day with good weather and views. Well done for defying the dubious signage to bag the Corbett. I think your decision was the morally right one. :wink:

I'm glad you agree - I was worried I might get told off :? :shock: :lol:

prog99 wrote:

Is everyone mistaking it for north chesthill? I remember a board with a large harveys map with preferred routes if they were stalking but nothing discouraging whole hills.

When I returned to my car I did study the board - I don't know how I missed it; guess that's what happens when you're chatting away :lol:
The two munros were accessible via the paths (ie two out-and-backs) and they allowed you up Cam Chreag from near Bridge of Balgie but not to link onto Meall Buidhe. Bit annoying really, especially as it's 4 months of the year. Who stalks in July?! :roll:
Jaxter
Wanderer

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland