walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Next Best Thing

The Next Best Thing

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:13 pm

Route description: Triple Buttress of Coire Mhic Fhearchair

Date walked: 02/06/2017

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 540m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The final day of our Westhighlands holiday was due to be fine and I had planned on Ben Alligin as a outing for the day. Unfortunately Grace had gone over on her ankle a bit on the way down from An Teallach and as it was still giving her trouble we thought it best for her to not head out onto rough mountain terrain. In the end Grace stayed with Grandma (see there are positives about the mother in law accompanying you on holiday :wink: ) and Nicola, Hughie and myself headed out. Grace had forbade us to climb a Munro or even a Corbett without her so I looked for the next best thing which was a walk up to Coire Mhic Fhearchair. There is no need whatsoever to bore you with route descriptions, the Walk highlands description is perfectly fne for what is a straightforward walk into admittedly remote terrain.

ImageClound plumes off Liathach by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageMono Moods by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSun coming out by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageScrees of Beinn Eighe by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageReflected on High by Anthony Young, on Flickr

It was certainly a fine day to be out amongst the mountains, even if we weren't visiting a summit and the chance to see into the wild country behind Glenn Torridon was a treat. By the time we made it to the coire the wind had picked up enough for the waterfall to be briefly blown back up hill and it was certainly a touch nippy as we searched for a sheltered spot to have lunch in the magnificent surroundings.

ImageBeinn Dearg by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageDramatic appearance of Liathach's peaks by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLiathach, Beinn Alligin and Beinn Dearg by Anthony Young, on Flickr (click on pic for big version)

ImageHughie by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBaosbheinn and Beinn an Eoin by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThe crags of Sail Mhor byAnthony Young, on Flickr

ImageRuadh-stac Mor by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCoire Mhic Fhearchair by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageClose up of the triple buttress by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Coire Mhic Fhearchair by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHughie exploring by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageTasty by Anthony Young, on Flickr

More of Sail Mhor's crags by Anthony Young, on Flickr

It was admittedly frustrating looking at the scree up to the col knowing munros lay so close, it looked really quite easy although I'm sure I might have thought differently had we been slogging upwards on it. As it was cold we didn't linger as long as we might have otherwise and re-traced our steps back to the car.

ImageLooking out over Wester Ross by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBeinn a'Chearcaill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking into the heart of Wester Ross by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHole in the Sky by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSgurr Dubh by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back to the slopes of Beinn Eighe by Anthony Young, on Flickr

It was great to return to the West Highlands after a good few years, with so many great mountains and none of the over crowding that Skye is currently suffering I can't believe it will take us another eight years to return.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: The Next Best Thing

Postby Sgurr » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:09 pm

I did this as part of long ago holidays when we and a widower friend used to take it in turns to have a solo day off or
mind the 4 kids. I was too scared to climb a mountain by myself, but they pointed me up a path and told me I couldn't get lost, and I had a great day. Took me another 25 years to pluck up the courage to do a solo peak. We have been back since, but as part of a longer walk. Very well worth doing on its own, and I think more interesting than the Beinn Eighe Nature Trail which you probably thought of as an alternative.

Some lovely pics.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:11 pm

Who cares about missing the summit when you have those views! Excellent photos, as always.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:19 pm

This must be one of the best low level walks going: a fantastic route up to an even more fantastic coire. Did this with my son last May bank holiday, and we were blown away (almost literally actually, as well as metaphorically!).

The usual brilliant pics, that look especially good on a big screen 8) :thumbup: .
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:13 am

Sgurr wrote:I did this as part of long ago holidays when we and a widower friend used to take it in turns to have a solo day off or
mind the 4 kids. I was too scared to climb a mountain by myself, but they pointed me up a path and told me I couldn't get lost, and I had a great day. Took me another 25 years to pluck up the courage to do a solo peak. We have been back since, but as part of a longer walk. Very well worth doing on its own, and I think more interesting than the Beinn Eighe Nature Trail which you probably thought of as an alternative.

Some lovely pics.

Thank you, we did the nature trail the last time we were here on a red hot day and ran out of water on the way down :oops: . I would agree this is possibly a better walk with a very impressive final objective.

Mal Grey wrote:Who cares about missing the summit when you have those views! Excellent photos, as always.

Agreed, the summits are going nowhere.

Alteknacker wrote:This must be one of the best low level walks going: a fantastic route up to an even more fantastic coire. Did this with my son last May bank holiday, and we were blown away (almost literally actually, as well as metaphorically!).

The usual brilliant pics, that look especially good on a big screen 8) :thumbup: .

Cheers Alte, it must attract the wind as there was at least a 10-15mph increase in wind speed over the final little pull up. As you say great scenery throughout.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland