walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

White Coomb climbed not the obvious way

White Coomb climbed not the obvious way

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:56 pm

Route description: White Coomb by the Grey Mare's Tail

Corbetts included on this walk: White Coomb

Donalds included on this walk: White Coomb

Date walked: 18/08/2017

Time taken: 3.2 hours

Distance: 11.3 km

Ascent: 740m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The plan was to start at the Grey Mares Tail car park walk up the good path formed on the East side of the waterfall, cross over river at the top of the waterfall and over Upper Tarnberry and Rough Craigs directly to White Coomb but because of the amount of rain which had fallen overnight and with me having broken one of my walking poles trying to release one of the sections which had stuck fast I decided I did not fancy crossing at this point but would continue up the well made path to the outlet point of Loch Skeen and cross over there then climb up the pronounced nose of Mid Craig where there is a reasonable path most of the way to the summit which can be identified at the Lochside. This would miss out most of the boggy area at the foot of Lochcraig Head and also the Donald (Lochcraig Head), but I wasn't caring too much as I did not want to get too wet in the frequent heavy showers, I was camping at a campsite without a drying room.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
The main car park at the Grey Mares Tail operated by the Nation Trust for Scotland, yes its £3.00
2.JPG
Heading up the well made path on the other side of the water there is a bridge crossing beyond the NTS information caravan
3.JPG
I hear a deep loud noise coming from behind me and this thing appears flying slowly and low
4.JPG
There she goes further up the Glen towards Moffat
5.JPG
Another shower comes along higher up the well formed and well used path
6.JPG
Looking back down the glen towards the car park
7.JPG
Where the path flattens out and above the water falls but no chance of getting over without getting very wet, most of the stones look pretty slippy to say the least and with me having broken my walking pole the previous day though it better to head towards the loch to cross over the stream
8.JPG
Loch Skeen outlet where i would cross and head for the prominent South shoulder of Mid Craig
9.JPG
Looking back down from high up on Mid Craig
10.JPG
The reasonable path ahead towards top of Mid Craig
11.JPG
Heading South over to the summit of White Coomb
12.JPG
Then following the stone Dyke
13.JPG
The summit cairn of White Coomb,reached in 2 hours not going to hang about as another shower was on its way
14.JPG
Rain coming in from the West
15.JPG
Just before the river crossing looking towards Loch Skeen
16.JPG
The final climb down to the roadside
17.JPG
And yes what's this noise I hear a coming
18.JPG
Zoomed photo of aircraft
20.JPG
And another passing below some clouds
21.JPG
Back to Moffat a nice wee farming town for an excellent warmed apple pie and ice cream followed by lovely strong black coffee at the Rumbling Tum Caf'e
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland