walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Disaster averted on Carn Mor

Disaster averted on Carn Mor

Postby Ranger » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:32 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Càrn Mòr (Ladder Hills)

Date walked: 06/09/2017

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 500m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My 62nd Corbett was climbed a week after Ledge Route, Ben Nevis, and could hardly have been of more contrasting character, albeit similarly chiselled out from a working day. No summer is complete for me without a calendar-worthy walk amongst the blooming heather. With a job in Glen Buchat scheduled to coincide with a bright morning, humble Donside would prove just as camera-friendly as The Ben’s famous north face.

DSC07684.JPG

In terms of topography, Carn Mor is little more than the high point on the undulating plateau that comprises the Ladder Hills. Water drains from its broad rounded slopes into the Moray Firth on one side – via the distilleries of Speyside - and the north sea on it’s Donside flank. Most often climbed from the Lecht ski road, or the shortest route of Glen Livet, my less-frequented Glen Nochty approach suited an early morning raid: with the sun in the east to illuminate the colours, and a decent network of approach tracks to speed progress on my bike.

DSC07621.JPG

I’d photographed my grandparents posing with a map by the 'Lost' signpost before, and the gallery of that name lay 2 miles along the approach track to Carn Mor. I passed it on my bike having left the van – and a handy starting elevation of over 1000 feet – at 7:45, before emerging from woodland beside the ruined croft of Duffdefiance. My Hamish Brown 'Climbing the Corbetts' book recounts that the name derived from a Glen Livet crofter, who came over the Ladder road and built there in defiance of the proprietor, Duff.

DSC07623.JPG
DSC07626.JPG

The old route of the Ladder Road, used reputedly by illicit whisky smugglers and coffin bearers alike, continues up the hillside from here. But my track continued west, proceeding to snake in and out of the Water of Nochty in a series of precarious fordings, forcing me into lower gear to splash through the current – emerging remarkably dry-shod after 10 such plunges. Snoozing sheep were rudely awakened as I pushed onwards into a stiff westerly breeze. After an hour’s cycling, the track terminated beside the gentle Allt an t-Sluichd Mhoir, so I left the bike and continued on foot.

DSC07631.JPG
DSC07636.JPG
DSC07638.JPG
DSC07642.JPG
DSC07645.JPG
DSC07650.JPG

After refilling my water bottle, I followed a path – man-made or sheep-made, it mattered not – into a perfectly-V-shaped valley. The sun warmed my back and lit up the surrounding heather, with the lime greens and yellow grasses along the burn adding to the palette. Stoat traps placed on logs laid across the stream were all empty. At the head of the small glen, a pathless slog through knee-deep heather was short-lived before the gradient relented. Blaeberries were in short supply, the red cowberries less appetising.

DSC07653.JPG
DSC07657.JPG
DSC07661.JPG
DSC07673.JPG
DSC07677.JPG
DSC07682.JPG
DSC07683.JPG

A pair of grouse exploded from in front of me and mountain hares darted into their peat hags homes. I reached the summit triangulation pillar at 0920 just as, having not seen a soul all day, I was joined by 3 walkers who had approached from the old mill near the Lecht.

DSC07688.JPG
DSC07702.JPG

The aberdeenshire summits – from Bennachie to Lochnagar – were clear, but from Ben Rinnes across to the Cairngorms, ominous shower clouds blocked the horizon. After 15 minutes sheltering in the lee of the summit pillar, I left the advancing shadows and romped down the spongy moss and heather back into the glen. By 10am I was back on the bike and flying down the glen, the easy gradient allowing a white-knuckle pace – up to 27mph when not ploughing through the river fords. Then from a thrilling high, to a crashing low…

DSC07709.JPG

Approaching the art gallery at fierce speed, suddenly a terrible realisation hit me that my fleece pocket was unzipped – and empty of camera. I slammed on the brakes and backtracked the previous 100 yards. No sign. Back and forth again, hoping the camera had only just dropped out. But again no sign. An expensive camera, the day’s photos… I’d have to retrace the 5 miles up the glen – ditching my scheduled work in the process. Oh dear. I began back up the track, glancing to each side, when to my immense – and vocal – relief I saw the black camera lying in the ditch. Hours of inevitably hopeless searching up the glen had avoided and my idiocy had cost me little. With that immense weight off my shoulders, I attacked the final half mile back to the van, reaching 37.7mph en route, arriving a little after 1035am – just short of the 3 hour mark.

A jaunt that threatened to end in disaster was saved and, after changing from my sodden apparel into dry clothes, I set off to complete my work at Glenbuchat Castle in high spirits. :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Disaster averted on Carn Mor

Postby PeteR » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:56 am

Not a bad way to spend a few hours of a morning :clap:

Had a similar experience to you when I dropped my GPS near the summit of a local sub 2000. Spent quite a while searching the featureless heather to try and find it. It's some relief, isn't it, when you do eventually locate your lost property :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Ranger » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:05 am

PeteR wrote:Not a bad way to spend a few hours of a morning :clap:

Had a similar experience to you when I dropped my GPS near the summit of a local sub 2000. Spent quite a while searching the featureless heather to try and find it. It's some relief, isn't it, when you do eventually locate your lost property :D

Ha, it's terrible. And often occurs when you've most been enjoying yourself - ergo the distraction/absent-mindedness.

Lost a few things on the hills, most of all those flexible tripod things.

One that stands out was leaving my camera behind at the base of the slope up Carn Mor Dearg from the CIC hut. That's a grind at the best of times, and having to re-ascend after being 3/4 of the way up wasn't much fun - helped that I found the camera, to be fair!
Ranger

Postby dogplodder » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:23 pm

Looks a nice day for it but you sure had a lot of river crossings! I was up there earlier in the year but I've not written it up yet so thanks for the prompt to get on with it. :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:31 pm

Glad the camera only hid briefly, the photos add to a nicely written report.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Ranger » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:45 am

dogplodder wrote:Looks a nice day for it but you sure had a lot of river crossings! I was up there earlier in the year but I've not written it up yet so thanks for the prompt to get on with it. :wink:

I've never known a track dive in and out of a river like that - every 200 yards, 10 crossings in a mile or less. The bike in a low gear made short work of a river that was far from being in spate. Having to tackle those crossings on foot would have been an entirely different challenge - no thank you!
Ranger

Postby Sick Kid » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:19 pm

Ahhh so that's what it looks like!!! :roll:
The day I was there was a little on the dreich side, so you're lovely photos are a good reminder of how pretty it is up that way :D
Sick Kid
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+50
Sub 2000:364   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:13   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland