walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Glen Doll Circular route just to keep it interesting.

A Glen Doll Circular route just to keep it interesting.

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:41 pm

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch

Date walked: 31/08/2017

Time taken: 5.75 hours

Distance: 23.6 km

Ascent: 1091m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Following on from StevieC's excellent report on this walk he did a couple of days after us, I decided to follow up with a report of my own.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
After leaving the car park and following the riverside path on the South side of the river
2.JPG
The normal path takes you over the bridge but as I was uncertain about the situation of the reported washed away bridge further upstream we decided to continue on the South side of the river. At first the path was fine but later on became pretty muddy and undulating. This is where Harris dropped behind as I was later to find out he lost the rubber stopper to his walking stick and had to dig deep in the mud with his hand to find the end of it.
3.JPG
Looking back to the track which we were to be later joining up with still on the South side of the river
4.JPG
Now on the track and seeing that the bridge had been put back into positin after being damaged by flood waters
5.JPG
Further up the glen looking back
6.JPG
Time for a break at the Roy Tait's bridge at Bachnagairn
7.JPG
Harris with his Great Grand Fathers walking pole which he has now made his own, and is a constant companion up the hills
8.JPG
A fairly new path going up to Broadcairn has assisted walking a great deal
9.JPG
On the boulderfield at Broadcairn with Loch Muick
10.JPG
Grandson and his Grampa on the summit of Broadcairn
10.JPG
Grandson and his Grampa on the summit of Broadcairn
12.JPG
At the summit cairn on Cairn Bannoch
13.JPG
Looking over to the cliffs above Dubh Loch with Lochnagar behind
14.JPG
On the South slopes of Fafernie heading topwards Crow Cragies
15.JPG
Broadcairn in the distance
17.JPG
At the summit of Crow Craigies
18.JPG
You can just see the faint path which passes on the left hand side of the water then circles around the back. On the left is Loch Esk
19.JPG
Heading down towards Glen Doll
20.JPG
Memorial plaque to commemorate the five members of the Uiversal Hiking Club Glasgow who died
21.JPG
The posts signify the shelter
22.JPG
Davy's Bourach named after Jock Winter a local shepherd in around 1887 established the route as a right of way
23.JPG
Further down the Glen Doll path
24.JPG
And heading down into the trees
25.JPG
At the Jock's road sign
Attachments
11.JPG
Virtually the same photograph as SimonC looking over Loch Muick
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: A Glen Doll Circular route just to keep it interesting.

Postby StevieC » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:57 pm

Nice one!

I was wondering why my walk was 2km longer than yours...then remembered my detour to check out Loch Dubh. That can also account for me taking nearly two hours more to do it, rather than me being an unfit so-and-so :lol:
StevieC
Hill Bagger

Munros:75   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   

Postby Dbradley » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:08 pm

Just come back to North Yorkshire from a slightly extended version of this walk. Camped below Broad Cairn and couldn't leave my tent until midday the next day due to heavy rain. The rain never stopped. I managed to climb Tolmount and Tom Buidhe as I passed them - as short detours really. Navigating in thick mist all the time. Back to the car at 7;30 - tired after crossing so much bog.
Dbradley
Stravaiging

Munros:172   

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:34 pm

StevieC wrote:Nice one!

I was wondering why my walk was 2km longer than yours...then remembered my detour to check out Loch Dubh. That can also account for me taking nearly two hours more to do it, rather than me being an unfit so-and-so :lol:

Hi Stevie, it just goes to show how it helps when you have a fit young person is dragging you around, lol
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:42 pm

Dbradley wrote:Just come back to North Yorkshire from a slightly extended version of this walk. Camped below Broad Cairn and couldn't leave my tent until midday the next day due to heavy rain. The rain never stopped. I managed to climb Tolmount and Tom Buidhe as I passed them - as short detours really. Navigating in thick mist all the time. Back to the car at 7;30 - tired after crossing so much bog.

Hi Dbradley, up by Fafernie is not the best place to be when the cloud and mist comes down, I bet you were pleased when you found Jock's Road
The Rodmiester
Walker

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland