walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Post-work Graham fest

Post-work Graham fest

Postby Jaxter » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:26 am

Route description: Doune Hill and Beinn Eich, from Luss

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Dubh, Beinn Eich, Doune Hill

Date walked: 02/09/2017

Time taken: 4.12 hours

Distance: 14.1 km

Ascent: 1314m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had to spend most of Saturday working while everyone else was enjoying the sunshine on the hills…

I managed to have a quick lunch stop on the shores of Loch Lomond

I like playing for weddings at Cameron House because it’s the perfect location for sneaking up a hill afterwards. And today was a good day for it. At 4pm I escaped and headed for Glen Luss where I got held up waiting for sheep to cross the road, did a quick change from little black dress into more comfortable attire and headed off down the road towards Glenmollochan Farm.

Looking down Glen Luss

It was an easy walk down the road, across the bridge and uphill towards the farm. I met a lady coming off the hill – she’d done the whole lot, a big day :lol:

I arrived at the farm and it turned out I’d missed the track around the outside. Fortunately the very friendly guy shearing sheep let me sneak around the back to a gate through the fence and I was on the hill. It was steep and boggy as I made my way up Beinn Eich. There was initially a faint grassy path which disappeared as the gradient steepened.

A welcome breather Image

As I climbed higher the views opened out and Loch Lomond looked spectacular in the early evening light

Doune Hill, Glen Douglas Grahams and Ben Vorlich

As the ridge narrowed, something of a path returned and I was onto the ridge

Arrochar Alps and Crianlarich Hills

The Cobbler and Beinn Ime behind Doune Hill

Finally on the summit it was pretty spectacular! I love how close to home these hills are and yet the feeling of remoteness is awesome, especially in the evening when everyone sensible has gone home :lol:

Summit of Beinn Eich

After a quick breather and a check of the map I headed down the ridge of Beinn Eich, heading for the bealach.

Beinn a’ Mhanaich and Cruach an t-Sidhein

I was on a path again and it was easy (although slightly squishy) walking. Looking ahead I could see the bealach, the minor summit of Beinn Lochain and Doune Hill ahead.

I made my way easily across the bealach and started the ascent up Beinn Lochain. There was a labyrinth of paths and I headed upwards.

Looking West

Looking down Glen Mollochan towards Loch Lomond

From Beinn Lochain the views were still pretty awesome – Cruach an t-Sidhein where I was tempted to pop out to, but I was worried about time, I reckoned I needed to be down by 9 which gave me 4 hours for the whole round :lol:

From Beinn Lochain it was a short descent and re-ascent to Doune Hill. The Arrochar Alps were still looking awesome even in shadow

Finally at the top of Doune Hill I could see Loch Lomond with Beinn Eich on the right and Beinn Dubh (next target) on the left

The trig point and Arrochar hills behind

Jaxter special

Glen Douglas, Loch Long and the Arrochar Corbetts

Doune Hill’s other top and Ben Lomond

Glen Douglas eyesore

The Cobbler, Beinn Ime and Beinn Narnain

Ben Lomond

West – evening was setting in, time to get a move on 8)

The descent to the glen was horrific – very steep and tussocky, knee-crunching and generally awful. I was awful conscious I was against the clock :lol: I did have a potential bail-out point once I’d reached the glen – I could follow the track all the way down Glen Mollochan back to the car…but that would be too easy :wink:

I was so relieved that the downhill was over that I didn’t even mind the steep ascent to Beinn Dubh. Well, only a little bit…. It was very steep and I was pretty tired – my Garmin was telling me that I had broken the 1000m ascent barrier, on grahams :shock: :lol:

Stopping for a breather I looked back to Doune Hill

After a while the gradient mercifully eased and it was easier walking. Looking across Tullich Hill to the Cobbler and pals

Finally at the summit it was definitely starting to get dark 8) Time for a quick pose….

And a wander a wee bit further on from the summit which turned out to be a much better viewpoint down Glen Douglas

The Beinn Dubh ridge and Loch Lomond

I had thought to continue down the ridge and cut back to the car but didn’t really fancy a steep pathless descent in what would probably be darkness…. So it was the “easy” option straight back to the car.

Looking back to the cairn

Cobbler, Ime and Narnain

A last glance

Heading down the ridge

Darkness was looming so I got a move on

The moonlight was just enough to get me back to the car without needing to get my head torch out. It was a slightly nervy drive back down the single track road and it took a phonecall to the police to get through Dumbarton :lol: but the cobwebs were definitely blown away; what a lovely evening :D

Luss grahams.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Post-work Graham fest

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:14 pm

18 hours and no replies to a Jaxter post? Everybody must have gone away to the hills! :lol: :lol:

I wish I had hills like these near to somewhere I'd been working. It always feels like cheating to get a pre or post work walk/paddle/ride in somehow, don't know why! Its always so rewarding though.

Can think of worse places to have to work for a day if you can have that view for your lunch break...

Anyway, thanks for sharing, as always.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:13 pm

Some really fantastic skies in your pics :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: ]

Great way to spend an afternoon - envy your proximity to this environment....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Jaxter » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:25 pm

Mal Grey wrote:18 hours and no replies to a Jaxter post? Everybody must have gone away to the hills! :lol: :lol:

I wish I had hills like these near to somewhere I'd been working. It always feels like cheating to get a pre or post work walk/paddle/ride in somehow, don't know why! Its always so rewarding though.

Can think of worse places to have to work for a day if you can have that view for your lunch break...

Anyway, thanks for sharing, as always.

Thanks - it's nice to have something to look forward to after a long day :lol: obviously the weather helped 8)
I know what you mean though, even if it's just a quick run it makes you feel so much better :D

Alteknacker wrote:Some really fantastic skies in your pics :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: ]

Great way to spend an afternoon - envy your proximity to this environment....

Thanks! I managed to miss the sunset because I was too low but something at least. You're right, these hills are practically on my doorstep so I'm pretty lucky :D :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland