walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A quick 3 on a blustery day

A quick 3 on a blustery day

Postby Sspaterson » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:39 pm

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 15/09/2017

Time taken: 2.45 hours

Distance: 13 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Set off from home in Perth as soon as kids went off to school and arrived in car park just after 10. Started walking at 10.15am. Followed the route up behind the cafe to Carn Aosda which is now my fastest time ever to climb a Munro, 30 minutes. The weather was very blustery with gusts up to 50mph so we didn't hang about at the top and headed back along the track, watching the many mountain hares larking about with their coats just starting to turn.

It's an easy plod to Carn a'Gheoidh with fabulous views up to the Cairngorms in th north and south over Glenshee. Exhilarating winds which would blow away the clouds one minute and the rain in the next but we were having a ball. Got to second Mumro at 11.15. I kid you not. As well as the cairn there was a convenient little shelter cairn to scoff our pieces out the breeze.

Chilling down quickly, we only lingered about 10 minutes, and headed off at a pace to warm up, back along the path we came before cutting off to the right to head up to Cairnwell. The last bit isn't the prettiest but was glad of the wee shelter hut as I think we'd seen the best of the day. Cooried doon inside for some soup and tea and a blether with the only solitary soul we saw.

Headed for cafe and got down remarkably quick to be sat with a cuppa and a cake in the cafe by 1.15pm.

The route map says 5-6 hours but I guess it's really erring on the side of caution as other reports seem to be between 3-4. Guess it depends on your fitness and we weren't hanging about in the first north winds of the changing seasons. But a great day out and back in plenty of time for kids coming home.
Sspaterson

Munros:207   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:38

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland