walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glenfinnan Magic

Glenfinnan Magic

Postby Jokester » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:54 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Thuilm and Sgùrr nan Coireachan

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr nan Coireachan (Glenfinnan), Sgùrr Thuilm

Date walked: 01/09/2017

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 25.49 km

Ascent: 1437m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my last day in the hills of my wee break away. 3 nights total at the Prince's House Hotel in Glenfinnan, lovely hotel and great local food.

I started from the hotel which added an extra 30mins on over parking at the start of the path past the viaduct. From speaking to the hotel folk it seems Glenfinnan is massively busy these days with the combination of Potter and Pound influences, with people milling around from all over the world. Once past the viaduct though there was nobody.

ImageIMG_0294 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

It's a nice walk up the glen on a tarmacked road most of the way, eventually taking a right turn over a bridge onto a rougher track towards the hill path.

ImageIMG_0296 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

I stupidly missed the turn off up the hill though and kept following the track leading over the pass and realising my mistake I then just had to make the beeline up the hill, eventually coming across this, a balancing rock.

ImageIMG_0299 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0301 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
There's some great views down the glen towards the viaduct and just making out the monument as well.

ImageIMG_0305 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Gulvain to the east

ImageIMG_0307 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Summit cairn on Sgurr Thuilm

Stopped for lunch at the top, though the weather had been good so far it looked like the cloud was starting to come down, especially over at the next Munro Sgurr nan Coireachan.

ImageIMG_0309 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

There's a couple of minor tops heading over, but the walk is quite interesting, with some wee scrambly bits if you want, there's also some water pools there. I didn't expect to see much life in them, normally small pools up at this height at stagnant and dead, but one caught my eye with some movement in the water as I was walking passed and on closer look it was absolutely heaving with tadpoles on the turn to frogs and small water beetles.

ImageIMG_0313 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0314 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0316 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Looking back at Sgurr Thuilm

ImageIMG_0317 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
View down the glen

The last hike up was one into the clouds

ImageIMG_0318 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0320 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Summit cairn on Sgurr nan Coireachan

There was a faint path leading off from the summit, so I began following it, disappearing at times as it crossed outcrops or boggy ground.

ImageIMG_0322 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

After about 1km there is a cairn that marks the start of the steep path back down again (and I mean steep!)

ImageIMG_0324 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

Eventually dropping onto a better maintained stalkers path, which then whisks you back down to the track heading up the glen.

The last wildlife encounter of the day was to come across a pair of stags guarding the other side of the bridge back onto the main track. They're not dangerous, right? They eyed me suspiciously whilst I slowly moved closer to them taking photos, and once over the bridge and within about 30 feet they started moving off.

ImageIMG_0332 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0333 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

After that is was just a trudge down the road to the hotel again. Alistair the estate manager stopped in his landrover on the way past and we had a chat for a couple of minutes, but other than that didn't see anyone to speak to all day on the hills and only a couple about 30mins walk behind me.

ImageIMG_0338 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Obligatory viaduct photo!
Attachments

Track 027.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jokester
Mountain Walker

Munros:77   

Re: Glenfinnan Magic

Postby Coop » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:07 pm

Glenfinnans a great area. Like you say, not many venture past the viaduct.
Let them enjoy the viaduct and the railway museum and the monument!!

Still got to go back for unfinished business as I had to retreat after Sgurr Thuilm.
It was a tad windy and there was a small amount of rain which forced me to cut it short.
Good report cheers
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:57+18
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Jokester » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:41 pm

Jokester
Mountain Walker

Munros:77   

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:59 pm

I enjoyed your report. We were up on these two on Sunday, a great walk despite not getting any summit views. We were equally surprised to find tadpoles in one of the pools, I hope they survive the winter.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby dogplodder » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:11 pm

Great photos and a nice reminder of these two. 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland