walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Birthday treat in the Borders

A Birthday treat in the Borders

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:31 pm

Route description: Eildon Hills, from Melrose

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Eildon Mid Hill

Date walked: 17/06/2017

Distance: 8.75 km

Ascent: 477m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Birthday time once again and what better way to celebrate hitting 45 than going for a wander in the hills. I must admit I felt like something a little different to the Lakes or Dales so we headed across the border to the delightful town of Melrose and it's very own three peaks otherwise known as the Eildon Hills. Grace would not be joining us today using an GCSE art project as an excuse. I suppose we'll just have to get used to the fact as she gets older she'll be joining us in the hills less and less. :(

The drive up was really quite enjoyable, perhaps it was a different route other than the normal A66 that made it seem quite pleasant. We reached Melrose on a beautiful summers day with bright sunshine and fluffy clouds in contrast to the forecast which was for dry and overcast conditions. Suited and booted my better half, Hughie and myself set off following the Walkhighlands route.

ImageHeading out of Melrose on St Cuthbert's way by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking across to Black Hill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageEildon Mid Hill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageViews opening up by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGaining height by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back along the path by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGetting closer by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageEildon Wester Hill from the climb up Mid Hill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageEildon Mid Hill Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWester Hill from the summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGreat day for views by Anthony Young, on Flickr

This was a perfect walk for a hot summers day, not too strenuous and some wonderful views in all direction to take advantage of the conditions. Soon enough steady progress saw us top out on the high point of the day which was strangely a bit chilly in the wind. I gave a brief thought to the prospect of a direct descent to Wester Hill but decided to keep things simple and easy and retraced our steps to the col.

ImageHeading back down by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageOn the way to Wester Hill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back to Mid and North Hill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSmall Reservoir from Wester Hill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageA distant Cheviot by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Hughie on Wester Hill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

The walk up Wester Hill was very gentle and still provided fine views. We stayed for a while on the summit this time taking in the sights before finding our way back to the nexus of the three hills and the last ascent of the day.

ImageClimbing North Hill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back at Mid Hill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageViews down to Melrose from North Hill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Image...and further afield by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWester and Mid Hills from North Hill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageNorth Hill Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageI Like these hills dad! by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Another steady pull up saw us on top of North Hill which once again provides some very fine views. We had lunch lazing on the summit grass with the sun beating down. I could have quite honestly stayed for hours and had a nap :) but as ever the real world has to be returned to and so we started off on the way down.

ImageHeading down to more great views by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBlack Hill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWild roses by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageMelrose abbey by Anthony Young, on Flickr

It was a nice gentle descent back down North hill with a very fine view to Black hill and beyond providing interest. We followed the Walkhighlands description back to Melrose before having coffee and ice cream to round off a fine day out. There are times when a nice little easy hill or three is just what you need :D
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland