walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Walking in the Dark - A Bike & Hike Mini Adventure!

Walking in the Dark - A Bike & Hike Mini Adventure!

Postby dooterbang » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:06 am

Route description: Ben A'an

Date walked: 17/09/2017

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 65 km

Ascent: 500m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Working in a mental health ward means one must put in a couple of months of nightshift now and again - mines started 2 weeks ago. To say my body clock is out of sync would be an understatement, I'm now part of the living dead, caught in limbo land! Those who have been there will know my pain :roll:

So its 3.30am and I'm wide awake, I've already watched two films, and now I'm wondering how I can fill my time. A quick check of the weather and I decide to walk Ben A'an in darkness in pursuit of a sunrise, following this up with a cycle around Loch Katrine. Gear & bike together I left Glasgow at 4am.

I parked just after 5am, headtorch on, and off I went into the heart of darkness. Surprisingly I spotted another human in the car park gearing up, wonder if he's also a nurse :?:

Onwards up the path

It was a beautiful morning, no wind, and the stars in the sky shone brightly.

I then nearly soiled my pants as I heard some strange howling, which came to an abrupt halt :shock:
A quick check of the moon confirmed it wouldn't be a werewolf. I had recently watched An American Werewolf in London, I didn't plan to be A Finnieston Werewolf in Aberfoyle :lol:

Proof :wink:

It didn't take long to reach the summit, with the other human joining me 10 minutes later. He wasn't a nurse though, just someone who likes little adventures :)

Summit Views

The sunrise never materialised but it was still fantastic to be up here so early. The sun did eventually bounce of the Arrochar hills to the west. The other human left at 7am. I spent another 15 minutes enjoying the calmness, views, & solitude.

I headed back down at a slow pace, enjoying the experience. The light revealing itself swiftly now.

Looking back to the summit of Ben A'an.

Got to my car at 8am & changed into my cycling gear. The sun was now showing itself, however it was still a tad nippy. Full finger gloves on for my anti-clockwise 30 mile loop around Loch Katrine, finishing off with a climb over the Dukes Pass.

This is a fantastic loop which shows some breathtakingly sublime scenery 8)

This was near the start...

Time for a pose :roll: :lol:

An alternative view of Ben Lomond...

The sun had shone brightly for an hour but now the clouds came in their droves, however it made for some spectacular reflections on Loch Ard.

The Dukes Pass felt rather easy, the descent was a joy to finish with. It had taken me 2hrs. I was back at the car just after 10.30am. A quick change and headed home, arriving at 11.45am. A fantastic little mornings adventure, one which will no doubt be repeated. But now it was bedtime :D I slept for 3 hours, oh how I love the nightshift :roll: :crazy: :lol:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Walking in the Dark - A Bike & Hike Mini Adventure!

Postby dogplodder » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:13 pm

Great wee hill this and good to see they've finished the path improvements! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:16 pm

Excellent. It can be amazing being in such stunning surroundings when nobody else is awake.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Collaciotach » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:19 pm

Good stuff :clap: :clap: :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby Spade » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:13 pm

:crazy: NHS Nightshift :crazy: It is simply awful, the flat battery feeling. I've done them off and on for 32 years in the NHS. Keep up the great reports!! I read them on nightshift!! Ha dreaming of the days off and emulating the walks :clap:
Spade

Munros:80   Corbetts:5

Postby ancancha » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:05 pm

Glad you had a good time :wink:
Just think if you were doing a normal 9 to 5 you'd have missed out :lol:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland