walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Out on my *rse (Part 1) - 50/50 on Cruban Beag

Out on my *rse (Part 1) - 50/50 on Cruban Beag

Postby Graeme D » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:47 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cruban Beag

Date walked: 15/09/2017

Time taken: 1.7 hours

Distance: 4.2 km

Ascent: 370m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A few weeks ago I was informed by my wife that three of her friends and their combined 6 year old offspring were coming to our house on the evening of Friday 15th September for an evening of pizza and wine and a sleepover. I don't think the planned wine consumption extended as far as the 6 year olds. Anyway, I was told I would be about as welcome there as Kim Jong-un at a White House garden party! I was to do one! Make myself scarce for 24 hours or so! :D

I tried not to look too crushed by news of my temporary eviction from a house of 4 women and four 6 year olds and made plans to head for the hills. The Aonachs were on my hit list for the Saturday but I had to stay clear on the Friday evening too, so I left straight from work and drove up the A9 to the car park near the Falls of Truim on the Crubenmore-Dalwhinnie road.

IMG_7016_zpskw25eftj.JPG
Cruban Beag from the parking area just off the A9 northbound

This evening would see me claim my 50th Sub2K on what was also my parents 50th Wedding Anniversary. While I was celebrating by bagging Cruban Beag, they were celebrating by spending a week on the Amalfi coast and the Bay of Naples. What's that got that Cruban Beag hasn't????!!!!! :lol:

I stopped off to take a look at the falls on the way down the road leading to the cluster of cottages and holiday accommodation. It was a rather awkward and delicate business negotiating the wet rocks to get close to the water but I was rewarded by the sight of a salmon trying to leap the falls. The first time I just caught it out of the corner of my eye, the second time I got a good, proper sight of it but hadn't had a chance to fish (no pun intended!) my camera out yet. Camera out, I crouched and waited with my finger poised on the button, but the fish decided to keep a low profile and didn't leap again. Disappointed to have missed a brilliant photo opportunity, I headed for the hill.

IMG_7017_zpsny8xszuv.JPG
Falls of Truim - fish refusing to cooperate!

IMG_7019_zpsomiroqwz.JPG
I settled for a close up shot of the bridge instead!

IMG_7020_zps6qbchkzf.JPG
The hill from the bridge

Most reports I had seen on this hill involved ascents from the west side but I had always liked the look of the craggy eastern face above the A9. I put my disappointment with the fish behind me and went through the gate between the old stone cottage and the evidently newly built bungalow to the left. The landrover track went behind the bungalow and climbed slightly into an empty field. I reckoned a line straight up towards the two cairns visible on the skyline would be the best line of attack, so I crossed the field to a gate on the far side and entered the trees.

IMG_7022_zpsanfovtrw.JPG
South west towards Am Binnein

The forestry offered little resistance and I was soon onto the open hillside, climbing to the right of the steep cliff face towards the first cairn with its open views up and down the A9 corridor.

IMG_7024_zpswmtopy1b.JPG
Obvious ascent line below the cliffs

IMG_7027_zpssijk6xmm.JPG
Meall Cuaich across the A9

IMG_7029_zpsqhvbarkq.JPG
First (southernmost) cairn

IMG_7030_zpsfv4pxz6g.JPG
Towards Creag Dhubh and Newtonmore

From there I headed the short distance towards the other cairn before retracing my steps and heading for the summit and my 50th Sub2K.

IMG_7035_zpsa7gxdqpm.JPG
Creag Dhubh and the River Spey from the heathery pull towards the summit

IMG_7036_zps0oz87dg1.JPG
South to the Loch Ericht and Dalwhinnie hills from the summit

IMG_7037_zpsoxj2z0nb.JPG
Creag Dhubh from the summit

IMG_7038_zpsxzy9fx6c.JPG
Number 50. I wonder if I'll ever make the century?

From the summit trig, I decided to take a more direct line back down towards the start, finding a tricky but perfectly manageable descent route down through the crags to join up with the Right of Way track heading south to Laggan. From here it was a left turn and a short walk back to the field and houses beyond.

IMG_7041_zpslm6ca5yl.JPG
Am Binnein from the descent

IMG_7042_zpsq3ff07f0.JPG
Inverness train heading north

IMG_7044_zpsvsy0oggp.JPG
Back at the track

IMG_7046_zpstvrtjmak.JPG
The descent line

I was back at the car just as the rain came on. Walking boots off, driving shoes on and it was along the old road to Dalwhinnie and then along to Fort Bill for dinner before heading along Glen Nevis to Poldubh for an assault the following day on the Aonachs.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Graeme D on Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Out on my *rse (Part 1) - 50/50 on Cruban Beag

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:33 pm

Ah, so that's what those hills look like when you're on them, well worth stopping off for. I've often looked at them as we drove past. Thanks for sharing.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Re: Out on my *rse (Part 1) - 50/50 on Cruban Beag

Postby dogplodder » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:55 pm

Well done on your 50 Subs and at your age you've got every chance of making the century! :clap:

Had a strange feeling looking at your pic of the Inverness train heading north as a short while later it would have whizzed right past our house. :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland