walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Geal Charn, Monadhliath. Rain and rainbows

Geal Charn, Monadhliath. Rain and rainbows

Postby mrssanta » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:21 pm

Route description: Geal Chàrn, Monadhliath

Munros included on this walk: Geal Chàrn (Monadhliath)

Date walked: 11/09/2017

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 658m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Coldwetandhungry our third and last baby started climbing Munros with us in 2010 and her tally is 21. She has gone on to do Gold DofE and is not so fussed about getting cold, wet and hungry with Mum and Dad, preferring to do such things with others. She's all grown up now and on Sunday 10th we dropped her off for Freshers week at Edinburgh University. I had a week's holiday. It was postponed from May when my gammy leg was preventing me walking. We'd planned at that time to spend a few days wandering about Benalder Forest.
Plan B was a week in September and to allow for possible escape routes we decided it would be fun to do the Lochaber Traverse over 3 days from Fersit. After dropping CWH in Edinburgh we headed for a bed in the Aite Cruinnichidh independent hostel. We had two cars because CWH had so much stuff so we planned to leave one at Fersit and one at Torlundy.
In the morning a quick look at the forecast told us that we were looking at a wet, cloudy day and quite windy as well. It looked like it might improve later in the week so we established we could stay another night in the hostel and decided to go for the single Geal Charn in the Monadhliath instead (plan C). We could then get ourselves set for a nice early start the next morning by planting a car at the finish line. More of that in the next TR
Anyway a good deal of faffing was done and it was nearly 11am by the time we got to Garva bridge to set off. There were big trucks going up and down the glen on the other side, and we could also see Landrovers and other estate vehicles parked not far from the start point. We heard shots at various times during the day but never saw any stalkers.
we pretty much followed the WH route up the East side of the Feith Talagain then straight up the nose of Geal Charn and back the way we came, so I won't post the GPX track here as it doesnt really add anything.
P9111954.jpg
Looking upstream from the bridge at 523951. our route goes up the right hand side of the river, on boggy ground, not the track you can see

P9111958.jpg
our target on a dreich day

P9111961.jpg
plenty of water in the burn, we are approaching the crossing point of Allt Coire nan Dearcag

P9111962.jpg
and here it is. will we get across without wet feet?

P9111963.jpg
Looking back the way we came. Cloud lifting a bit maybe? please? Maybe I'm thinking if I wait a while the burn will go down a bit.

P9111964.jpg
Oh well just go for it! poles and gaiters are really useful here and we managed to get across dryshod

P9111966.jpg
photography rest on the way up, lovely autumn colours on a blaeberry.

P9111969.jpg
Sun on the hillside looking up the Spey. you can see some of the construction traffic as well.

P9111970.jpg
oh-oh, here comes the weather again

P9111976.jpg
Rudolph at the top.
I think my camera might die soon, there is not a telegraph wire at the top of Geal Charn as it might appear from this picture

P9111979.jpg
and me. But there is a good cairn with some shelter at the top for a bite to eat. It was too dreich to bother with cracking the stove out. And I think that this counts as a cloud-free summit !!!!

P9111980.jpg
what's this? Blue Sky!

P9111981.jpg
Looking back down to Garva Bridge. The weather is clearing

P9111982.jpg
not sure what those distant hills are but they might be Ben Alder and Beinn a'Bheoil.

P9111987.jpg
Oh My, there has been a lot of rain. There is a lot more water in this burn than when we went up!

P9111990.jpg
trying to be arty

P9111991.jpg
sploosh

P9111992.jpg
The crossing point. We made it without getting wet feet though!

P9111993.jpg
Looking back uphill from near the bridge. A gentle rainbow is visible

P9111995.jpg
Strathspey

P9111996.jpg
Garva Bridge.

mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland