walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

In Lone Glenartney's Hazel Shade

In Lone Glenartney's Hazel Shade

Postby weaselmaster » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:10 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Uamh Bheag

Donalds included on this walk: Beinn nan Eun, Uamh Bheag

Date walked: 19/09/2017

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 20.7 km

Ascent: 1235m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The stag at eve had drunk his fill,
Where danced the moon at Monan’s rill,
And deep his midnight lair had made
In lone Glenartney’s hazel shade’

Walter Scott - Lady of the Lake

I had been asked to lecture in Perth on Wednesday so decided to head through the night before and take in a couple of hills on the way. The 2 Donalds, one of which is also a Graham, in Glenartney seemed to fit the bill. Had the dentist at 9 - a check up only, fortunately, so set off after that. Misty on the road through but the forecast good for the day -I was sure it would burn off. Arrived at the car park at Glenartney Church about 11.20 and prepared to set off. I couldn't remember which direction we'd taken last time around, I do remember streams in spate and clag. Today would be much nicer.

uamhx.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Set off up Auchnashelloch Hill, which had an ATV track to follow then cut across to begin ascending the northeastern shoulder of Uamh Bheag, finding a plank bridge by chance. Not that there was much need for bridges today as the water level was low and the bog factor reduced. Up to the trig marker on Uamh Bheag for lunch then a quick skip to the summit. From here it was a kilometre to the summit of the Donald Top, Meall Clachach - some peat hags to be traversed. back up Uamh and onwards to the intermediate summit of Beinn Odhar. I had been wondering about stalking being on today, having heard a distant shot and sometime after seeing 4 hinds rush away - I could see a couple of folk on the top of Beinn nan Eun and thought they might be stalkers- would I be in for a hard time?

ImageP1170480 by Al, on Flickr

Looking across to the north
ImageP1170481 by Al, on Flickr

Uamh Bheag
ImageP1170482 by Al, on Flickr

Meall Clachach
ImageP1170483 by Al, on Flickr

Summit Uamh Bheag
ImageP1170484 by Al, on Flickr

Down to Meall Clachach
ImageP1170485 by Al, on Flickr

Vorlich & Stuc
ImageP1170486 by Al, on Flickr

Beinn Odhar
ImageP1170487 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1170489 by Al, on Flickr

As it turned out there wer three older people out enjoying the hill - all Munro compleaists and two of them also Graham completers. We spoke for a while, sharing hill stories then I pressed on down towards Findhu Glen. It was a lovely afternoon now, I had no rush to get to the hotel, so I decided to add on the short steep ascent of Cnoc Brannan. Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin rose sharply to the northwest and across the road the curved form of Beinn Dearg sat - a challenging Graham that one! Back down to the track and the car for a short drive to Murrayshall Hotel in Perth.

Summit Beinn nan Eun
ImageP1170491 by Al, on Flickr

Cnoc Brannan
ImageP1170493 by Al, on Flickr

Beinn Dearg
ImageP1170494 by Al, on Flickr

Beinn nan Eun
ImageP1170497 by Al, on Flickr

Vorlich & Stuc again
ImageP1170498 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1170499 by Al, on Flickr

murrayshal.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The early evening was so fine that I had a look to see if there were any nearby wee hills - Murrayshall Hill was only a mile from the hotel and was a Hump- - Bob's your uncle! Did have to cut across golf courses which were unpopulated, thankfully then a wee rise through the edge of some woods before coming out at the Lynedoch Obelisk - to Lord Lynedoch who fought with Wellington in the Peninsular War. From here a clear path leads to the McDuff Memorial, a folly from the 1780s. The sun was setting beyond the monument as I followed the path down to the road and back to the hotel.

ImageP1170501 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1170502 by Al, on Flickr

Lynedoch Obelisk
ImageP1170504 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1170505 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1170508 by Al, on Flickr

McDuff Monument
ImageP1170510 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1170513 by Al, on Flickr
Last edited by weaselmaster on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:196   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: In Lone Glenartney's Hazel Shade

Postby Graeme D » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:25 pm

weaselmaster wrote: I could also tick off one of my 4 remaining Donald Tops

As one does! :lol: :clap:

Very poetic Al, very poetic!

Been a while since I was up Murrayshall. Used to be a regular dog walking haunt before she got to the stage now where she can barely walk the length of the garden! :(
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland