walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn an Eoin and Baosbheinn

Beinn an Eoin and Baosbheinn

Postby foggieclimber » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:43 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Baosbheinn, Beinn an Eoin

Date walked: 02/10/2010

Time taken: 8 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hills: Beinn an Eoin and Baosbheinn
Date: Saturday 2nd October 2010
Company: Just me
Time: 8Hrs 15Mins
Dog friendly: Yes

I parked in the car park next to the Red Barn (which is green).
I then set off along a good track between Meall Lochan a'Chleirich and Meall a'Ghlas-Leothaid.

Looking back to Red Barn car park:

After walking a couple of kilometres, to reach the high-point of the track, the full length of Baosbheinn suddenly comes into view. What a spectacular hill!

First full view of Baosbheinn:

The next few kilometres of the walk, alongside the Abhainn a' Gharbh Choire, are quite stunning.

Scenic walk-in:

After crossing the Abhainn Loch na h-Oidhche, I walked as far as a cairn at the side of the track and then crossed an area of wet ground to reach the base of Beinn an Eoin.

Looking towards 682m top of Beinn an Eoin:

Baosbheinn:

After reaching the base of the hill, I followed a feint track up an easy gully until reaching an area of sandstone slabs.

Ascent of lower slopes of Beinn an Eoin:

On reaching the slabs, I stopped to take some photographs across Loch Maree.

Loch Maree and Beinn Airigh Charr from Beinn an Eoin:

There is a sizeable cairn on the slabs. Directly opposite this cairn, I ascended towards the 682m top of Beinn an Eoin.

Slioch silhouette from Coire Loch na Geala:

Looking across Letterewe to distant An Teallach:

Slioch and Beinn a'Mhuinidh:

The walk along the ridge of Beinn an Eoin took quite a bit longer than expected. The wind was quite ferocious. I had to walk into this wind along the length of the ridge.

Looking along ridge of Beinn an Eoin towards summit:

I was seriously impressed with the views from Beinn an Eoin – possibly the best viewpoint in Torridon.

Beinn Alligin:

Beinn Dearg:

Liathach:

Baosbheinn across Loch na h-Oidhche:

I followed the zig-zag path up the final steep ascent of Beinn an Eoin until reaching the summit shelter and small summit cairn just beyond.

Final steep ascent of Beinn an Eoin:

Beinn Dearg and Beinn Alligin from summit of Beinn an Eoin:

Despite the incredible views I didn't spend long at the summit – it was far too windy up there.

Summit shelter on Beinn an Eoin:

Beinn Eighe:

View from summit:

From the summit, I retraced my steps back along the ridge, descended back down the gully and made my way back to the track at the end of Loch na h-Oidhche.

At this point I was a bit indecisive about whether to also ascend Baosbheinn. It had taken me 4.5Hrs thus far. I estimated that it would take 2 hours to ascend Baosbheinn and get back to the track (actually took about 2Hrs 15Mins).

Looking along Loch na h-Oidhche:

Beinn an Eoin ridge from lower slopes of Baosbheinn:

I crossed the outflow of the loch beside the remains of an old bridge - lots of stepping stones below where the bridge used to be. I then made my way towards An reidh-choire. I ascended up the coire before ascending to the left to gain the grassy ridge leading towards the summit.

Grassy ascent towards summit of Baosbheinn:

Tops of Baosbheinn:

Was a bit surprised at how easy Baosbheinn was.

Again I didn't spend much time at the summit a) because it was windy and b) because I wanted to get back at a reasonable time to meet friends at the Torridon Inn.

Beinn Eighe, Beinn Dearg and Liathach from summit of Baosbheinn:

Beinn Alligin from summit of Baosbheinn:

Looking along Baosbheinn ridge:

From the summit of Baosbheinn, I made my way back to the track beside the outflow of the loch and then followed the scenic track back out to the Red Barn.

Really enjoyed these hills – some of the best in Torridon.
foggieclimber

Re: Beinn an Eoin and Baosbheinn

Postby Graeme D » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:53 pm

Absolutely loved this report foggie! Stunning hills indeed. Especially liked the unfamiliar views of the Torridon giants. 8)
Graeme D

Munros:220   Corbetts:103
Grahams:64   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:56   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

Postby mountain coward » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:55 pm

Great report and pics - when you say you were surprised at how 'easy Baosbheinn was' - do you mean effort-wise (not a worry of mine) or lack of difficulty (definitely my main worry!)?
mountain coward

Postby foggieclimber » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:08 pm

mountain coward wrote:Great report and pics - when you say you were surprised at how 'easy Baosbheinn was' - do you mean effort-wise (not a worry of mine) or lack of difficulty (definitely my main worry!)?

lack of difficulty :)
foggieclimber

Postby mountain coward » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:16 pm

Great - I saw that one from the road just past Loch Maree and it looked horrendously difficult - must be better from the back.
mountain coward

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland