walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Auch Corbetts

The Auch Corbetts

Postby Benaden887 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:22 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaisteil (Auch), Beinn Chaorach, Beinn nam Fuaran, Beinn Odhar, Cam Chreag (Auch)

Date walked: 27/07/1996

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 22.1 km

Ascent: 2120m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Corbetts of Auch. 22.1km 2120m 9hrs 27/ 07 / 1996

Having completed my Munros over five years I`m taking a more leisurely approach to the Corbetts and will regret in future years not clubbing the Grahams along with them but in my defence, Dempster is still writing his book. This was a dayshot the KMC having no meet this month, so seemed like a good time to up the ante with this cluster of five near Bridge of Orchy. Despite attempts to put her off, Allison wants to tag along so I`m already resigned for a solo return to complete some of the five. This is the tale of how she proved me so wrong.
Park off the A82 at the road end and walk down past Auch once farmed by Rob Roy, for the Auch glen. Follow the river NE beneath a railway viaduct to where our track crosses the Kinglass river. Strike E uphill for the Mam Lorn col between Beinn nan Fuaran and a` Chaistell. A rough climb gains this, then grassy slopes for the somewhat bald top and blocky cairn of Fuaran @806m. A rest here, good views over Loch Lyon and the glen beyond. A range of done munros hems this area in, the longest glen in Scotland. So down to a boggy 550m col, missed on the way up and follow a fence over tufted grass to another blocky cairn of Beinn a Chaistell@886m. Crags fall here into the glen below, a train passes over the viaduct, then disappears around the base of Beinn Dorain. We head S E down a ridge into Glen Coralan, easy walking, for a break at the burn. Here I suggested we could go back ifn she`d had enough.” Do you want me to carry your rucksack for you ? she inquired. Stung, yet relieved, we geared up, crossed the burn for a 638m col, drop the sacks and walked out for the craggy top and cairn of Cam Chreag@ 884m. A brief survey of Glen Lochy then back to a boggy col for the long kilometer slope of Beinn Chaorach cairn and pillar trig point. We pass what proved to be a rusted wind generator complete with an aged battery still wired up. From Beinn Chaorach @818. a drop W of 380m to the Allt Cumhang incurred a further steep climb to the 700m mark before the going eases at Odhar`s Lochan Choire Dhubh. A splash an soak here then over stony ground to the large cairn of Beinn Odhar. Great views again, a wee break then down W steeply to cross the railway and take the WHW trail back to Auch and the car.

A great day, new team player, great weather, plenty deer sheep and birds, lots of up and down av. 310m on each of this group.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland