walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A long way back

A long way back

Postby Beaner001 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:45 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Socach (Affric), Mullach nan Dheiragain, Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan

Date walked: 09/09/2017

Time taken: 12 hours

Distance: 50.69 km

Ascent: 2300m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had been hoping to nail off another few of the long ones before the evenings start to close in and Autumn and Winter are upon us. These three had been on the radar for a while and if i am honest i was doing them more for the red balloons than the hills, oh how wrong i was and what a day this was to be. Cracking hills.

Started in the Glen Affric car park and boy was it beautiful, first time in Glen Affric and i'm glad i did these from here as i hummed and hayed about doing them from Loch Clunie.

Fed a wee Chaffinch straight from my hand in the car park, they are obviously well versed in human contact.

Got on the bike and made my way along the 15k to the Altbeithe hostel. The road was great-rubbish and i did a fair amount of walking. Eventually made the hostel where i went in to speak to the guy Steve that was supervising it at present. He Kindly made me a cup of tea and we sat and chatted for a good 30 mins. I was hoping to get the predicted better weather in the afternoon but it panned out the better weather was the morning , hey ho.

Got on my way up to the bealach, Fife Flyers report was what i copied and did An Socach first on his advice. Popped up there and then down into the bealach and across the bog to the bealach at the other side to tackle one of the most remote hills on the list Mullach nan Dheiragain. Cracking hill, although the weather turned and the mist came in and i got soaked for the remainder of the day till back at the hostel again.

Its a long way out to the summit and i passed many people, it was one of the busier circuits ive done of late, maybe others had the same idea as me by getting these chalked off. Once back at the bealach i slowly made my way up the monster of the pack Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan, she was a beauty but again the mist spoiled this. Nice ridges spurting out from her. Followed the path back to the hostel where i popped my head in and spoke to Steve again, i was jealous to be jumping back on the bike for the long ride out and not staying the night in the cozy hostel which glowed with atmosphere. Passed Strawberry cottage which glowed with warmness too, i passed the guys staying in it that night on the hill and they would be enjoying drams as i struggled back to the car in the fading light.

Long day, cracking hills that surprised me with their beauty and remoteness. Never judge a book by its cover.

IMG_7185.JPG

IMG_7186.JPG

IMG_7188.JPG

IMG_7189.JPG

IMG_7191.JPG

IMG_7194.JPG

IMG_7195.JPG

IMG_7197.JPG

IMG_7198.JPG

IMG_7200.JPG

IMG_7202.JPG

IMG_7204.JPG

IMG_7206.JPG

IMG_7210.JPG

IMG_7212.JPG

IMG_7214.JPG

IMG_7215.JPG

IMG_7218.JPG

IMG_7219.JPG

IMG_7220.JPG
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:234   Corbetts:26
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland