walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wyvis Numero Uno

Wyvis Numero Uno

Postby Defero Mundus » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:01 pm

Route description: Ben Wyvis, near Garve

Munros included on this walk: Ben Wyvis

Date walked: 17/09/2017

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1046m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Set of nice and early from Inverness around 6am, arriving at the car park just before 7. It was a mild morning with some blue sky between the clouds as the sun came up. Shorts and t-shirt was the order of the day and a woolly hat more for the style than the need for it.

The hat soon came off as I started the walk, hardly any wind and pleasant conditions. The start of this walk is ideal as it is a nice easy start as you leave the car park and head towards the mountain along the river. Once in sight the mountain was beautiful and covered on once side in a thick white mist.

Reaching the start of the proper climb I was absolutely roasting and wishing I'd brought an electric fan for the journey. I stopped off for some water and a breather (used to be a heavy smoker so despite my youthful years exercise can be tough going!) The climb starts in earnest when you get to the stone steps and then it's up proper. The path ascends pretty quickly and you get a decent view of the surrounding area,

I struggled a fair bit towards the end of the stone steps stopping fairly regularly for water and breath breaks! I don't know why but I felt like having a cigarette about half way up but wisely refrained. Finally the cairn at the top was in sight so I kicked on for the final drive...

On reaching the cairn at the top I realized this was not the top and I still had a way to go to the trig point. Once past this cairn it is fairly easy going along to the trig point though. On this stretch I had to jumper and jacket up as the freezing mist I had seen from the foot of the mountain had rolled back in. Because of this I didn't hang about once I reached the trig point, stopping off only for some crisps and chocolate and a couple of snaps. I reached the top around 9:30am. My phone also died (despite having full battery) probably due to the cold.

The descent was brilliant. Out of the freezing fog I danced down the mountain like a spring born gazelle delighted in the knowledge I had bagged my first munro. I met a few folk on the way down who were on their way to the summit, stopping to chat for a while.

Very pleasing trip all in!

Saw a few birds who I havn't researched yet, some small little ones and also a larger (grouse sized) charcoal grey one with a white underbelly. Also a whopping big crow, biggest I've ever seen who followed me around the top of the mountain before disappearing from view.
Attachments
IMG_3901.JPG
IMG_3882.JPG
IMG_3870.JPG
Defero Mundus
Munro compleatist

Munros:9   
Fionas:3   

Re: Wyvis Numero Uno

Postby Coop » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:22 pm

I'm not one to lecture anyone but it happened to me once.
My phone died on me - I won't go into it all but I needed it!.
It taught me a lesson the hard way!

Now I make sure it's at 100 % charge when I set off. If I've no signal I'll put it onto flight mode for times to conserve power
I carry a spare chsrging unit, a GPS, 2 compasses and a map.

Nice report

Hope you've caught the bug now and enjoy your travels
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Mal Grey » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:49 pm

Congrats on your first Munro! Nice one.

The grey backed/white bellied bird may have been a Ptarmigan.

The enormous crow was just a big crow, a raven (likely), ....or a harbinger of death, I guess. :lol:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Defero Mundus » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:20 pm

Thanks was a good trip to kick it off. More tomorrow Hopefully!
Defero Mundus
Munro compleatist

Munros:9   
Fionas:3   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland