walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Postby 2dalmatians » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:35 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Date walked: 09/10/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 945m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So having taken care of all the self inflicted stupid mistakes made last week whilst tackling the other Ben Vorlich I was confident this would be a hazard free day. However I didnt take into account for the fact that I could not find the path up the hill for close to 3 hours!!! Set off at 1010 am from Inveruglas with the "Big Dog" heading the same way we took when tackling Ben Vane a few weeks ago. However when it came to finding "the tiny cairn after a small stream" that marks the path it proved to be very difficult!! The fact that I had the arrogance not to take a copy of the WH route map compounded the situation in that I couldnt remember if the cairn was 1k before or after Sloy Dam.

When I reached the Dam (after approx 1hour walking) I decided to climb up to search for a path at the other side. It was here that I met a couple who had the same problem and were waiting optimistically for someone who knew the way to pass by. Clearly that wasnt me!!! They did confirm that there wasnt a clear path at the dam which convinced me that the cairn and route up was as I had suspected approx 1k before the dam. So I walked back down away from Sloy searching for the cairn. After about 400mtrs I decided to head up the hill. Eventually after about 1.5 hours of wandering about like a complete Numpty and against the odds I found the path. After about 20 minutes I met a group of 4 heading down having already been up to the summit. They advised that I probably had around 1200ft over 1 mile still to climb (to be honest I could have turned back at this point but I have a wee bit of stubborness in me). These were the last people I saw all day until I got back to Inveruglas! Unfortunately there are not even any of my usual average pictures to share as the summit was in cloud and I ran out of battery not long after reaching the top.

Finally made it back to the car at 415 approx - very tired with another valuable lesson learned - maps are good!

[/attachment]
IMG00482-20101009-1309.jpg
about half way up
IMG00476-20101009-1114.jpg
sloy dam - shouldnt have been here - Lol!
IMG00480-20101009-1237.jpg
where I found the path
IMG00484-20101009-1355.jpg
Attachments
IMG00485-20101009-1356.jpg
big boy at the top
Last edited by 2dalmatians on Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Postby Stretch » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:10 pm

Ah yes, the ghost cairn marking the path. I actually had no trouble finding it, especially after looking through all the previous reports for this route. But a couple at the top had totally missed it and I showed them how to find it and get down.

How does that short legged bassett make it up the hills? I'd be dying! Cool dog though.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Merry-walker » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:36 am

You're as stubborn as me 2dalmatians :wink: but very well done for sticking with it :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:37 am

Stretch - I was planning to claim some vandals or mischievious magpies had stolen the Cairn and or blame WH for misleading information, however the "ghost cairn" was there and very clear when I got back down. As for the big dog he is remarkably agile although he is knackered today lol (he is still a pup - 2 years old, I dont think he will do much of this after he gets to 5/6)

Merrywalker - my wife uses a different s word - "stupid" with a few **##@'@**!!! before and after :-) . She says she was 20 minutes from calling mountain rescue yesterday. - oops :shock:
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Merry-walker » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:48 pm

:lol: :lol:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland