walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

THE HEINZ HILL

THE HEINZ HILL

Postby lairdoharray » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:01 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 23/09/2017

Time taken: 5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Stob Dubh was Munro 57, hence the Heinz comment. Too much of their stuff and other food has meant that I am 25 pounds heavier than last year and it showed. However, the classic route is kind to wee old fat men like me and I am truly grateful to National Trust Scotland for their great work on the path. My boots were fairly clean at the end.

Given my lack of fitness and the stalking restrictions on many other hills, this seemed a good bet and I think that I chose well. Buchaille Etive Mor would have been busy, going by the number of cars parked when I passed at 10.15 but the 'Beag park was fine. (No wonder, it remains my favourite expedition ever, and is a must if you haven't done it!).

I just seemed to keep going and managed to the top of Stob Coire Raineach in 1 hr 45 mins. Bit windy up top, but I had a bite to eat and enjoyed the view: just as well. Cloud was developing on Stob Dubh and by the time I got climbing it, it had lowered. 1 hr 10 mins more to the top, although I kept on for a few minutes to make sure I had passed the highest point. No view, although I can imagine that it would have been very good on a decent day as it was meant to be (eh Judith, Kawser, Sean etc.?) The paths are quite obvious and I was comfortable despite the cloud, but of course it is folly not to have map and compass even so. The way down was no problem and it was a good trip all in.

I was a bit surprised to hear that Stob Coire Raineach hasn't always been a Munro. There seems to be more than 500 feet of drop to the col, which would satisfy Corbett requirements. On the Buchaille Etive Mor trip my late friend, Colin, implemented his 'all tops' policy and we completed the whole ridge. This was vindicated when Stob na Broige was promoted a few years later, although I will return to it some day, DV.

So, I would recommend 'Beag to anyone who wants 2 relatively easy Munros but enjoys a good view. Just don't listen to BBC and STV weather folk!
lairdoharray
Mountain Walker

Munros:105   Corbetts:14
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:14   

Re: THE HEINZ HILL

Postby jmarkb » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:35 am

lairdoharray wrote:I was a bit surprised to hear that Stob Coire Raineach hasn't always been a Munro. There seems to be more than 500 feet of drop to the col, which would satisfy Corbett requirements.

This is a good point: it seems that Munro was reluctant to award more than one separate summit to hill ranges with a single name: e.g. the 2 Buachailles, Bidean, Alligin, Liathach, Eighe, An Teallach. One wonders if he had lived longer whether he would have settled on a drop criterion, and spared us all the endless debates about what should or should not qualify. (300 feet is a nice round number, and would have given roughly the same number of hills as in the current list, but it's far too late now...)
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland