walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Not much bog hopping required even after a wet summer.

Not much bog hopping required even after a wet summer.

Postby martin.h » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:55 pm

Route description: Sgurr an Airgid

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgurr an Airgid

Date walked: 12/09/2017

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 850m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Our final weeks holiday to the Highlands for 2017 was a visit to Glen Shiel, our hope was for the weather to behave itself for a change, we seem to have been plagued with inclemant weather this year, the summer's been a bit hit and miss all over the country and we've been waiting for it to start but, here we are, September and we're still waiting, how time flies.

The weather Sunday and Monday around Glen Shiel was not the best, frequent rain and high winds on the tops so we spent both days doing the tourist bit, looking around castles, going for a drive around the area, watching telly in the cottage and generally playing the slobby bit, come Tuesday we just had to get out, we could be waiting forever for a bit of decent weather.

The munros were forecasted to be clagged out with high winds and heavy showers so we decided to do one of the Corbetts around the area, Sgurr an Airgid has been a mountain we've looked at whenever we've been around and about, it was just the hill to do to cure a dose of "cabin fever", this was our day out.

We parked up in the carpark near the memorial as described in the walkhighlands route description for this walk, there's plenty of space here and the start of the walk up the mountain is plain enough, through a gate just over the road from the parking area.

Beinn Fhada from the road.

The car park and the gate across the road.

The route from here is on a very well made path and it remains so for the whole ascent.

View from the path, Morvich and the bridge.

A'Ghlas-bheinn in the cloud left, Beinn Fhada, right.

Sgurr na Moraich.

The weather was good, the forecasted showers hadn't arrived so the walk up to the bealach was very enjoyable.

Good views, a better day than we were expecting.

This section is on a steady gradient all the way, the path zig zags the steep bits, when you arrive at Mam na Dubharaiche there's a cairn, the path continues left, from here you can see it making its way over the boggy bits and ascending the mountain side on its way to the summit.
I was quite surprised how easy it was to traverse this bit, expecting the typical bog hopping in bealachs this was pretty dry considering the the damp summer we've had.

Sgurr an Airgid from the bealach.

The Brothers away in the distance to the left.

Fhada, Brothers, Sisters.

Cloud lowering.

This is a really enjoyable hill to do, the views we got were fantastic, although the big 'uns had their hats on a lot of the time, we did get tempting views of Bienn Fhada and A' Ghlas-bheinn, two munros we're hoping to do this week, looking at them to-day we had the feeling we'd have been ok giving them a go, up to this point we'd not had a drop of rain.

We met two couples on the way to the summit who were out to-day they were in same frame of mind as us, hoping to get out before thr rain started.

On the way to the summit we walked into the cloud, a bit pee'd off the views were gone we resigned ourselves to another summit without views.

After a few minutes at the top the clouds parted like a pair of curtains, although not completely clear, this is what we were treated to.

After about 20 minutes or so we decided to retrace our ascent route so set off back down, still no rain so we'd been lucky up to now, the showers had been circling us all day.

Leaving the summit the clouds began to descend again so we were lucky to have views from the top.

We stopped at the cairn in Mam na Dubharaiche for a snack where we were caught up with one of the heavy showers, it lasted for 10 mins, that's all, and that's all we had all day.

A shower approaching.

Views just before the deluge.

Not much to say about the walk back to the car from here, it's very straight forward, the shower had passed so we got some final airy views.

Almost back at the car.

We arrived back at the car 4 hrs after setting out so it's a fairly short day, just right as a leg stretcher for the bigger hills around these parts, or a nice summers day afternoon walk, on a clear day I bet the views are epic.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:206   Corbetts:17
Grahams:10   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:214   Islands:19
Walk wish-list

Re: Not much bog hopping required even after a wet summer.

Postby steviesea » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:05 pm

It's a real shame when the weather lets you down but even a shortish outing like that soon restores your faith in the hills doesn't it :thumbup: I was lucky enough to catch an awesome day in 2014 whilst doing the same walk. I was just wondering what happened to the trig. Lightening maybe ?
053 (640x360).jpg
steviesea
Wanderer

Munros:42   Corbetts:14
Grahams:5   
Hewitts:30

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:10 pm

Another report that serves to demonstrate that the best hills for view ain't necessarily munros! Fabulous pics. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Glad the weather held so that you could savour those magnificent views. Got my eye on this area, but probably next year... It's a long drive :( .
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:167   Corbetts:29
Hewitts:218
Wainwrights:78   

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:32 pm

I wasn't far from you on the 9th Marts, was round the back of Fhada doing the Altbeithe three from Glen Affric :lol:
Good to see you getting out :clap:
Beaner001
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:26
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:55 pm

Yes, does make for a nice walk. Was up here six days after you and lucky enough for once to get it dry in a short period of high pressure - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:207
Grahams:61   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Postby martin.h » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:16 am

steviesea wrote:It's a real shame when the weather lets you down but even a shortish outing like that soon restores your faith in the hills doesn't it :thumbup: I was lucky enough to catch an awesome day in 2014 whilst doing the same walk. I was just wondering what happened to the trig. Lightening maybe ?
053 (640x360).jpg

Hi steviesea,
The weather's been hit and miss this year for our trips north, but any day out in the mountains whatever the weather beats working :lol:
Lightening probably explains the trig, in the mist, as we were approaching the summit, it looked like somebody was stood there, motionless, waiting :shock: :lol:

Alteknacker wrote:Another report that serves to demonstrate that the best hills for view ain't necessarily munros! Fabulous pics. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Glad the weather held so that you could savour those magnificent views. Got my eye on this area, but probably next year... It's a long drive :( .

Hi Alteknacker
Yes, I agree with that, its nice to get decent views once the hard work is done and any hill will do.
You'll like Glen Shiel, the area will suit your epic days out, I bet any walk reports you do will be crackin' :D

Beaner001 wrote:I wasn't far from you on the 9th Marts, was round the back of Fhada doing the Altbeithe three from Glen Affric :lol:
Good to see you getting out :clap:

Hi Matt,
Glen Affric's another area we've got plans for next year, I hope we get a better summer tho'.
We've managed a few this year but a nagging nerve compression in the lower back has hampered enthusiasm, I'll have to get that sorted for next year :roll:

rockhopper wrote:Yes, does make for a nice walk. Was up here six days after you and lucky enough for once to get it dry in a short period of high pressure - cheers :)

Hi rockhopper,
We were looking at the weather a week or so after our visit (as you do :roll: ) and saw it had improved, we had Paddy booked to guide us up Sgurr nan Gillean on the 15th but had to abort because of 40 odd mph gusts and driving rain, if only we'd gone a week later..................... we'll just have to try again next year :D :lol:
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:206   Corbetts:17
Grahams:10   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:214   Islands:19
Walk wish-list

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland