walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

White Mounth Munros - In 2 trips

White Mounth Munros - In 2 trips

Postby craigthe5th » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:35 pm

Route description: White Mounth Munros, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr, Lochnagar

Date walked: 23/09/2017

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 30 km

Ascent: 1228m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This route takes in 5 Munros. We attempted this on 10/09/2017 but due to poor weather we only managed Lochnagar this time. We returned on 23/09/2017 to complete the unfinished business...

We had planned to take the bikes with us as looking at the map could cycle to the other end of the loch and start our walk from there, knowing 3.5 miles off each way. Once we got close it turned out we couldn't take the bikes all the way so chained them up earlier than thought.

Had to walk round the end of the loch to start which was nice - found a wee beach at the end of the loch and got some sun bathing (haha!) in.

Quite a steep walk to get up, basically at Lochnagar anyway so pretty much done that one twice! One the way up came across a beautiful waterfall so got a few pics and took a few mins to admire it. Was a good time as don't usually take too long taking things in - need to do this more often as it was nice.

When we got up it was pretty much path all the way round, we did veer off slightly (on purpose this time) to cut a few corners from the route. Using the GPS on the phone really helped - this was the first time I had used ViewRanger on my phone - love that app!!

Got round all 4 Munros then it was the walk back. It was a long long long long long long walk back. I am so glad we took the bikes, Fraser not so keen but a huge benefit to me.

The final descent was a killer, very very steep. My knees were killing me and I thought it was just me as my knees usually do but Fraser was feeling just as bad.

Once we got back to the bikes we hopped on then back to the car in no time at all. It was so much fun cycling that path and it meant finishing the day off on a high compared to if we had to walk it back.

Stopped off for a chippy at Braemar which I wasn't a fan of, turned out I was sick that night too (with a bug though as all the family are down with it)

Starting off on the bike

Bit o' sunbathin' by Lock Muick

Awesome waterfall we came across

1 of 4

2 of 4

3 of 4

4 of 4!

The View looking back - Goodbye White Mount!

Our amended route to cover the 4 - didn't save much time (other than the cycle although Fras won't admit it!
craigthe5th
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland