walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Meagaidh & Co

Creag Meagaidh & Co

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:36 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Liath (Creag Meagaidh), Creag Meagaidh, Stob Poite Coire Àrdair

Date walked: 02/09/2017

Time taken: 5.8 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1080m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A spare slot on the calendar which for a change coinsided with a decent weather forecast, so where to head.
I fancied a multiple gathering and Creag Meagaidh fitted the bill perfectly. I actually remember the walk I did previously as it was my first walk after joining WH in 2013. I remember turning the red balloons blue thinking I had been up 100 Munro's and only came up with 98, so checked again and again. I wasn't planning to continue walking but I couldn't stop on 98 so off I went and the rest is history as they say. So WH can take a bit of credit for motivating me to get back out and now I can't get out enough.
The walk into to the window is easy and a very enjoyable way to gain height very gradually and the views as you gain height are great.
A few stops on the ascent of the window were required purely for photo purposes and once at the top the tempertaure really dropped so a fleece was donned. I caught up with 5 guys who I spotted in the distance and they weren't sure where the summit was so they followed me.
Views on the summit were a bit hit & miss and I wasn't hanging around as it was blowy and cold, even had my gloves on.
Descended back down to the window and up the other side to the next and insignificant summit, which was my 100th first time round. Caught up with a guy who was slightly slower than me exchanged pleasantries and headed off. The walk along the broad ridge is easy and I remembered to keep looking back to get a few photo's of the corrie and lochan.
Final summit was also easy and then the descent, I remembered it from 4 years ago especially near the bottom and had to use my phone to keep relocating the path (if you can call it that). It disappears especially over the many stone littered areas.
Was very boggy lower down but my boots performed well and I was back at the car in less than 6 hours which I was happy with.
Fantastic day in stunning scenery.

There was some sort of problem with Flickr about this time so photo's were uploaded onto this report in October 2022 with no description - to save time.

Uploading these photo's 5 years later makes me want to revisit, so will suggest it to my chums.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland