walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tougher than tough

Tougher than tough

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:37 pm

Route description: South Glen Shiel Ridge: 7 Munros

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Air Chrith, Creag a'Mhàim, Creag nan Dàmh, Druim Shionnach, Maol chinn-dearg, Sgùrr an Doire Leathain, Sgùrr an Lochain

Date walked: 23/09/2017

Time taken: 9.05 hours

Distance: 27 km

Ascent: 1820m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Huge thanks to David for advertising his plans of wanting to tackle the South Glen Shiel Ridge - his original plan was to include the Forcan Ridge two as well which is extremely ambitious even more so at this time of year with less than 12 hours of daylight.
We agreed to meet at 7am at the Cluanie Inn, which meant a very early and one that I won't be repeating 3.20am is a stupid time to wake up, especially as I had hardly slept and was still suffering with 'man flu'. Those two things don't provide you with an abundance of energy and that would be confirmed on the initial ascent.
Left home at 3.50 as the AA reckon it takes 3 hours plus to get to Cluanie, with hindsight I should have looked at my old WR as it only took me just over 2 hours last time - OK I had a much faster car then. Even the satnav reckoned I would be there with 30mins to spare.
I arrived at 6.40 having driven very economically killing a hare on the way to Spean Bridge.
As I pulled into the car park David was waiting for me having slept in the car overnight.
Introductions over we set off and the walk along the track seemed to be much longer than I remembered but it was still a great way to gain a bit of height, unfortunately as soon as we started to climb for real it wasn't long before I started to struggle - the worrying thing for me was I knew we had plenty of ascending ahead.
David was a proper mountain goat and I was definitely showing my age, hopefully the previously mentioned things contributed to my suffering.

Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland