walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Speyside Way Aviemore Kincraig a lovely walk

Speyside Way Aviemore Kincraig a lovely walk

Postby desmondo1 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:11 pm

Route description: Speyside Way 7: Aviemore to Kincraig

Date walked: 28/09/2017

Time taken: 3.01 hours

Distance: 12.71 km

Ascent: 140m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It had rained heavily during the night but it was a lovely blue sky morning and we went for an unadventurous but highly enjoyable section of the Speyside Way, walking from Aviemore to Kincraig.
Tree cutter.jpg

Tree cutter
We decided to start the walk from the house which added about a mile to the route before joining it formally at La Taverna. As we walked through the woods a jet fighter appeared very low heading north up the Spey. It was triangular in shape and very, very loud. The other highlight was watching a guy high up cutting down a tree, a large section dropping and just missing a lodge. Luck or design?
Dying flowers.jpg

Dying autumn colours
The short road section led to the road crossing before heading down under the railway and onto the route proper.
You cannot get lost, just follow this very well made walking and biking trail. You are walking alongside the railway but only 3 trains passed us on route.
Autumn colours.jpg

More autumn colours
The pathway is lined with trees and ferns most of which are turning to their autumn colours, lovely. Excellent views of the Cairngorms along with the prominent memorial to the Duke of Gordon sticking up from a hill.
Lord Gordons monument.jpg

Duke of Gordon monument
We come across some deep deer prints on the track. I know the track build is softish but I reckon this was a large Red deer landing hard after a leap or fast run, speculate why?
IMG_6006.JPG

Deer prints
A lovely up and down section zig-zagging then over a burn and an excellently constructed wooden bridge, want to redo my fence?
Autumn railway bridge.jpg

Railway bridge
Into another woodland section now along with the option of a detour, if required, to Dalraddy campsite/caravan park for refreshments. Their log cabins seem to go on for ages it must be a big site.
Woodland track.jpg

Woodland track
Pass some new houses and reach a new wooden bench with excellent views over the Spey to the mountains (lunch break in the warm sunshine).
Spey valley.jpg

Spey valley
The river Spey has been conspicuous by its absence until now which considering the name of the way is slightly disappointing.
20170928_125412.jpg

New bench good spot for lunch
Follow the Badenoch trail section which is a narrow track meandering through the ferns with high views of the river below, a bit more interesting than the other track.
Badenoch trail.jpg

Typical Badenoch section
A buzzard cried over head but better still when I put the binos on it I could see a pair of golden eagles circling high in the sky until they disappeared.
We enter the outskirts of Kincraig and pass many old cracking looking granite houses, I want one of them. I love the 'get in there, fist pumping' lion on this gate in the village.
Get in there lion.jpg

Fist pumping lion
The walk for us ends at the war memorial next to the bus stop. Walkhighlands route description says that there is a village shop but if so we could not find it. Disappointed as I was looking forward to a bar of chocolate and a can of Irn Bru, healthy or what.
Kincraig war memorial.jpg

Kincraig war memorial
Instead we just sat on the bench and enjoyed the sun shining on our faces for the 30 minutes until the bus back to Aviemore. A good walk, a good day.
Distance 7.9 miles (12.71km)
Time: 3.01 hours
Ascent: 460 ft (140m)
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Re: Speyside Way Aviemore Kincraig a lovely walk

Postby larry groo » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:01 am

Fine wee walk. A lovely place indeed.

:clap:
larry groo

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland