walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Panther's Streap tease ;)

Panther's Streap tease ;)

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:42 pm

Route description: Streap, near Glenfinnan

Corbetts included on this walk: Streap

Date walked: 17/09/2017

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1321m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've had naughty thoughts about Streap for some time, indeed it was teasing me... Call it Streap-tease :lol: :lol: We were hoping to do it during WH Meet in Spring, but ended up on the 3 Corbett across the road and had a superb day, so I won't complain! Still, the pointy Corbett was high on the list and we intended to climb it some time this summer. As it always goes with plans, we rarely stick to them, so we managed to tick off all hills around it: Sgurr an Utha in April, Braigh nan Uamhachan in May, Sgurr Thuilm and Sgurr nan Coireachan in June. And Streap kept teasing. With August gone and half way through September, we eventually caught a reasonable day to return to Glenfinnian area to finish the business and claim the teasing Corbett!

The weekend before, Kevin was still slow after his case of shingles, but by now he had fully recovered and he was desperate to go up "all guns blazing" just to prove that there was still life in his bones! Especially that the day we climbed Streap was his birthday (I'm not allowed to mention the number but it's nice and round) - can anybody have a better b'day gift than walking the ridge of a magnificent mountain?

Very few Corbetts can beat Streap when it comes to: 1. views, 2. character 3. steepness. Braigh nan Uamhachan across the glen has a lovely, very long ridge and it is also steep in places, but Streap, the bigger brother, is definitely a tougher cookie. There are at least three routes to the summit from three different glens, but we decided on the WH route simply because we had been in Gleann Dubh Lighe before and we absolutely loved it. It's one of few glens still left intact and not spoiled by hydro works, a delight to visit any time of the year :D

Track_STREAP 17-09-17.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Starting from Craigag car park, we met another couple who considered Streap as well, but eventually they headed for Braigh nan Uamhachan. Apart from them, the only other people we saw on the hills were a pair of ridge runners, who jogged past us at such speed that I hardly noticed them :lol: :lol: Ridge running is madness - that's my knees talking :wink:
The walk into the upper Gleann Dubh Lighe goes through some lovely forest and some gates with a tight squeeze, but I've been on diet recently, lost a few pounds and I can squeeze through easily:
2017-09-17 streap 001.JPG

The gorge of Dubh Lighe river:
2017-09-17 streap 004.JPG

It was a glorious morning though the summit of Streap was still covered in cloud, I was optimistic the clag would burn off before we get higher:
2017-09-17 streap 007.JPG

The track continues deep into the glen, where everything looked (and smelled) autumnal, even the bracken was turning brown:
2017-09-17 streap 014.JPG

Panoramic view of upper Gleann Dubh Lighe and the ridge of Streap:
2017-09-17 streap 020.JPG

Not much water in the river up here and there is a bridge so no wading needed :D The steep slope in the middle of the photo was our descent route :?
2017-09-17 streap 024.JPG

The idea was to climb straight on to Meall an Uilllt Chaoil and then walk along the ridge to the summit. According to WH description, one can avoid high bracken on the lower slopes by carefully picking route - and we spotted a good line of low grass just to the left of one of many streams coming down the slope:
2017-09-17 streap 030.JPG

Weather was still good, not much wind and sunny, I love such days of early autumn, when the world around us plays the game of multiple colours... Fifty shades of September :D
We crossed a couple of smaller streams and charged the steep slope above us. We were in good mood, Kevin was steaming up the hill like Titanic across the Atlantic, thankfully no icebergs in sight :lol: We managed to avoid most of the bracken and followed a very sketchy path for some time, before losing it higher up:
2017-09-17 streap 034.JPG

View down back to the glen - easy slopes by my standard:
2017-09-17 streap 031.JPG

The ridge awaits... Streap teases again!
2017-09-17 streap 035.JPG

A wider pano of Streap ridge from the lower slopes, just before the weather turned for worse:
2017-09-17 streap 039.JPG

Sadly, as we marched up the steep slope, the glory of the morning gave way to a grey sadness of the lunch time. It happened so quickly (despite low winds) that we hardly noticed the change until we decided to take a breather about 2/3 way up Meall an Uilllt Chaoil (the 844m top):
2017-09-17 streap 043.JPG

To the south-west still some bright conditions:
2017-09-17 streap 046.JPG

The final 200m to the 844m top are very steep indeed, but the terrain is grassy with some scattered boulders, so walking, despite the acute angle, wasn't too difficult. Kevin was still marching up like a soldier and I discovered I was struggling to keep up with him! Definitely all that remained from his shingles was a painful memory :D :D
Reaching the first of many tops, Meall an Uilllt Chaoil, was a relief. We knew we still had some up and down trudging along the ridge, but the hard work was done :D
Sadly, weather refused to cooperate... View east from Meall an Uilllt Chaoil, cloud coming in:
2017-09-17 streap 050.JPG

The ridge teasing us... The next top, Stob Coire nan Cearc (887m), still visible:
2017-09-17 streap 058.JPG

The very top of Meall an Uilllt Chaoil lies about 200m from the point where we emerged on the summit area, a small rocky outcrop visible in the middle of this photo. We didn't bother taking a detour, just turned north and followed the ridge.
2017-09-17 streap 060.JPG

We took a sandwich break on the lower slopes of the first top, enjoying the last few minutes with views, mostly to the west of us.
Eigg and Loch Beoraid from the ridge of Streap:
2017-09-17 streap 065.JPG

Another long but very entertaining ridge to the east of us, Sgurr Thuilm and Sgurr nan Coireachan, the Glenfinnian Munros:
2017-09-17 streap 071.JPG

Eigg and Loch Beoraid from another angle, with Isle of Rum also visible on the horizon:
2017-09-17 streap 077.JPG

Zoom to Rum:
2017-09-17 streap 078.JPG

The ascent from the col is only about 120m and follows a well-worn path, but it's quite steep indeed. More teasing from Streap! She's playing hard to get, that's for sure :lol:
Panther marching up Stob Coire nan Cearc, Meall an Uilllt Chaoil in the background:
2017-09-17 streap 081.JPG

When we reached the top of Stob Coire nan Cearc, the cloud was closing in around us so we only stopped for a short snap of me posing with whatever was left from the magnificent views around us...
Veni, vidi, vici, miaow:
2017-09-17 streap 089.JPG

The next part of the ridge is probably the most entertaining, as the angle of both descent and ascent is much less acute. Views are probably spectacular. I say "probably" because we saw zilch :( On the other hand, walking along narrow ridges in cloud adds some spooky quality to hill bagging... We didn't have a clue what was in front of us!
DSCF0029.JPG

There is no real scrambling on the "arete" to the summit of Streap, just a few teasing larger boulders and rocky steps. The ground was wet and the rock was slippery, so we took care where we put our feet, but on a dry day one wouldn't even notice any "difficulties":
DSCF0039.JPG

We arrived on the summit in thick clag, I congratulated my husband his birthday hill, we sat down by the cairn and resigned ourselves to no views. Then, like with a touch of magic wand, the cloud began to thin... It was a revelation!
2017-09-17 streap 090.JPG

The best birthday gift - Streap views!
DSCF0043.JPG

Panorama due north - and the massive shape of Sgurr Thuilm emerging from the clag:
DSCF0047.JPG

Gleann a'Chaorainn - what a big glen!
2017-09-17 streap 122.JPG

Looking back along the ridge we walked:
2017-09-17 streap 111.JPG

Pano:
2017-09-17 streap 133.JPG

And this is yet to come:
2017-09-17 streap 112.JPG

Distant Isle of Skye:
2017-09-17 streap 126.JPG

The southern pano:
DSCF0053.JPG

View east with Streap Comhlaidh dominating the view:
2017-09-17 streap 131.JPG

With wee Lucy (C no. 54) on the summit of my 132nd Corbett (the next one will be officially 60%!):
2017-09-17 streap 146.JPG

We sat on the summit for a long time, enjoying this unexpected git from the nature. What a spectacular mountain with fantastic views. One of the best Corbetts IMHO. Surely goes on my list of top 10 C's!
From the summit, the ridge continues to Streap Comhlaidh with a short, steep ascent to the last top:
2017-09-17 streap 152.JPG

As we continued along the ridge, the clag returned and embraced the summit of Streap - we timed it well!
Streap from Streap Comhlaidh:
2017-09-17 streap 155.JPG

The final descent can only be described in two words: KNEE JERKER. Basically, almost 500m of very steep, grassy slope that could kill your knees easily. We took time, especially that the ground was slippy. Kevin laughed, that descending took us more time than going up! :lol:
Image2017-09-17 streap 157 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
We aimed for the stalker's track below us (we used it as a return route when we did Braigh nan Uamhachan). It was a relief to be on less steep ground, but for a change, the track was very boggy :lol: Yet nothing could wipe the huge grin off my face. I climbed Streap!
2017-09-17 streap 167.JPG

From my personal experience, there are mountains and MOUNTAINS. Some Corbetts are F-Corbetts, and Streap falls absolutely into the F category. One of the steepest hills I've ever done, but the ridge is such a joy! Even with some cloudy moments, it was still a delightful traverse. And Kevin enjoyed it, too - you should see his grin! He would hardly let me take any pictures of him though - in his opinion, now in his ****ties, he's an old mushroom and not worthy of photographing - silly man! I've seen him overtaking much younger mushrooms, cooking in their own sauce :wink:
Returning from Streap meant walking down the lovely Gleann Dubh Lighe once again:
2017-09-17 streap 169.JPG

The weekend after we had other plans that didn't involve hillwalking, but managed to spare a few hours to visit Torridon and lurk around Loch Coulin - TR to follow :D
Last edited by BlackPanther on Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Re: Panther's Streap tease ;)

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:42 pm

A report filled with the joy of the outdoors, as always with you BP. Streap does look like an outstanding mountain.

Congratulations on a round number, Kevin. I have one to come next year, but its avoiding a round body that's more worrying than a number!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:12 pm

Thank you for a great report, and pictures, we were up Streap this time last year, totally agree that it is an F Corbett.
On the 17th we were next door on the Glen Finnan Munro's, and had a great day despite the fog.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby rockhopper » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:12 pm

Good to see it cleared up for you :thumbup: Have been trying to get to this hill and its neighbour for a while but have been waiting for good weather and then have other ideas for other hills :roll: Was thinking about cycling up the glen but your note on tight gate spaces suggests perhaps not a good idea - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby malky_c » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:38 pm

Always enjoy a good Streap report - this would be a lovely time of year to be up there :D .

If you're up that way again, be sure to include Beinn an Tuim - great views straight down Loch Shiel and onto the viaduct. Having said that, there's a fair amount of up and down as it is.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:19 pm

Thanks everybody - Streap is a great hill to write about :D :D :D just as well we visited it in autumn.

malky_c wrote:If you're up that way again, be sure to include Beinn an Tuim - great views straight down Loch Shiel and onto the viaduct. Having said that, there's a fair amount of up and down as it is.

We considered adding the demoted Corbett, but decided we didn't have enough time... Not as fast as we used to be sadly :( Kevin suggested that it would be easier to include as a final top if doing the circuit anticlockwise (starting up Streap Comhlaidh) so this is the idea for a repeat route :D

rockhopper wrote:Was thinking about cycling up the glen but your note on tight gate spaces suggests perhaps not a good idea - cheers

The only problematic pass would be the one at the very start - if the main gate is locked, the kissing gate for walkers is so small that one has to take off rucksack to squeeze through :lol:
There is a bothy in the glen if you fancy an overnighter (I didn't mention it in my TR, it's at 945820)

Cairngorm creeper wrote:Thank you for a great report, and pictures, we were up Streap this time last year, totally agree that it is an F Corbett.
On the 17th we were next door on the Glen Finnan Munro's, and had a great day despite the fog.

Ah, we almost bumped into each other :D
Loved the Glenfinnian Munros, too, though the descent from Sgurr nan Coireachan was far from dry!

Mal Grey wrote:Congratulations on a round number, Kevin. I have one to come next year, but its avoiding a round body that's more worrying than a number!

Avoiding the round shape... Tell me about it :lol: I'm constantly on diet. Fat likes me so much that it stays on my hips forever :lol:
Once I dropped 15kg (over 2 stones) in 6 weeks on vegetable soup. Then I had to adjust my wedding dress as I was running the risk of losing it when walking down the isle :wink:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby jerryatrick » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:58 am

BP, please tell Kevin I know exactly how he feels, being dragged up a hill on his birthday by an enthusiastic female. My daughter dragged me up the CMD arete on my 75th, and Helvellyn on my 79th. Keep up the good work!
jerryatrick
Munro compleatist

Postby dogplodder » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:21 pm

Definitely added to the list and when the time comes I'll be referring back to your report which are always so helpful. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland