walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Going with the flow on Beinn Narnain

Going with the flow on Beinn Narnain

Postby Chris Mac » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:31 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 21/09/2017

Time taken: 4.48 hours

Distance: 10.3 km

Ascent: 999m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn-Narnain.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It was only when I saw that my last walk was on the 17th, and today was the 21st, that I realised why my legs were getting awfy tired while climbing Beinn Narnain... taking days off work can give you false weekend syndrome and my legs had only just recovered from my quick hike up Culter Fell last Sunday... I forgot this in the morning, along with the stiffness I felt on Monday and Tuesday, due to being tasked with a taxi service into town.

I then had the joy of 5 days off with the car and anything was possible, my only thought was "i'm in town from 8:30am, already a head start, where would I go...? The days before (this may sound familiar to some of you) were spent in a flurry of reading walk reports, viewing maps and google earth, trying to decide on where to go, along with listening to the gut feeling to see what felt good, combined with lots of forecast checking and re-checking...

"I've had my eye on Ben Cruachan for ages... those pointy peaks keep teasing me, first from Tarmachan Ridge, then Ben Lui, then Beinn Ime... it's time!"

Unfortunately the forecast said it would be wet everywhere until around midday before clearing up into a dry and clear afternoon and evening. I still had my head start, so my first thought on leaving the City Centre was what direction do I go...? I'll just drive to where the hills are and judge what I can observe as i'm driving.

Local Glasgow hills were covered in cloud on the drive in... having been to Ben Chonzie recently I thought i'd go north west instead of north east, even though Strathyre and my plans for a Munro/Corbett/Graham triple looked like it "could" have better conditions.

Luckily I was going the other way from rush hour traffic and made good time up the side of Loch Lomond after getting some supplies at the garage. Ben Lomond was clear and looking grand in the morning light, with just a tuft of cloud and mist over Tarmachan... but it was at the other side of our largest loch from me... damn. Oh well i'm still trying to keep this as my (if I get there one day) last Munro so no worries, plenty more to choose from...

Arrochar and Tarbet hills were cloud covered and by the time I eventually got through the roadworks and past slow drivers (while avoiding suicidal overtakers) to drive up Glen Falloch it had turned for the worst and the Falloch Munros were doing their best ghost impressions with white sheets from summit to base.

A green Welly pit stop was next on the cards, I would wait and see how I felt about Cruachan, which was still my plan, but it was supposed to be in worse conditions until later on than everywhere else. I decided i'd drive south again and leave Cruachan for another day, see where the aether of time/space took me... plus Gregor had said the day before that it's worth keeping for a clear day.

Decision made I would drive south... on the approach to Crianlarich I was left with instinctual decision number 1, where was I going... Stuc a'Chroin... I turned left, but on reaching the Crianlarich Hotel where the last minute change of mind road back to Glasgow was, i was hit by another feeling... this time logic, I parked the car.

"It's pishing doon, the rain is going west to east, i'm not driving east..." so I took the right turn and was soon heading back down Glen Falloch, Cruach Ardrain, An Casiteal and friends all still covered... slow progress down Loch Lomond again, the Ben still clear... maybe i'll just turn into Arrochar and if Ben Arthur is visible as I enter the village (that view still blows me away every time I see it) then i'll do a hill here, maybe Beinn Narnain, I just found out that Iain did it the other day and it's needing done, plus i've got the good camera in Arrochar for the first time so I don't mind a similar view to when I climbed Ben Arthur and Beinn Ime. Also... scrambling potential... :clap:

The Alps looked glorious on entering Arrochar, Loch Long was also resplendent. I think the flow has just taken me to the perfect place, it felt like being in the eye of a storm. Arrochar was fairly quiet but on entering the Succoth car park it was surrounded by busy road workers beavering away in diggers, lorries and the car park!

There were no spaces on the right, or the first few bays on the left, but further left was a space between to white contracters vans, I pulled in, sat in the open boot and slowly got ready, keeping an eye out for any objections. Not an eyelid was bat, so after packing my bag (again this may be familiar to some of you) which had to be done from scratch because I half filled the boot with more than everything I needed for speed of preparation, knowing that after my taxi service was done, I had all the time in the world... to both pack my bag and eventually settle on a hil to climb! :D

The flow of time had brought me to the base of Beinn Narnain.... Ok so it's the 259th highest Munro at 926m/3038ft, but you can knock at least 430 metres from Meall nan Tarmachan in 89th place with it's 1044m... it's really a Graham in prominence (roughly 626m) while Beinn Narnain is a sea level start and worthy of every metre of it's Munro status:
ImageDSC_3391 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Off i went and at the very start of the path I passed a couple who smiled and said hi, amazingly they would be the only people i'd see until leaving the summit and after that I still only saw a few others on the hill and that was at the end of the path. Definitely the quietest I have ever seen the Arrochar hills, they are usually mobbed! :crazy:

Almost immediately, referring to my pre-planned route, what I thought was a stream that looked a bit like a path was a stream/path combo and it was the way I wanted to go. I have to say it was much more fun than the zig-zag tourist path, it doesn't get too wet or boggy and is very clear all the way up, with large concrete blocks acting as markers on the way:
ImageDSC_3394 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Going up the flow on the stream/path:
ImageDSC_3398 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The view also opens up very quickly and before long I was at the base of the crags, where the path goes left and right and there should also be one heading up Creag an Fhithich:
ImageDSC_3406 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

A butterfly (or some weird anime cartoon character!) stopped on a rock to say hello:
ImageDSC_3416 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The way ahead, I should have taken the easier slop mid-left but ended up going mid right up to the crag above the small tree further mid right:
ImageDSC_3421 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Oddly, at this point I found my legs were pretty heavy and tiring quickly, not like me at all. In my head it was Saturday and all thoughts of Culter Fell 4 days earlier had left my mind! :roll: :lol: :crazy:

It was after 1pm, ach I just need my lunch, so I picked a large concrete block to sit on and enjoyed this view for lunch....
ImageDSC_3434 20170921_131400 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Refreshed and refuelled, checking the map showed the path going left then up, while my route said straight up... the perils of using multiple maps (OS and opencyclemap) to plan routes in order to see all available paths. I wandered along a bit, couldn't see an easy path up, then returned to my lunch spot where my route took me up to a steep path next to a crag...
ImageDSC_3435 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Scrambling time! I put my camera in a dry bag in my rucksack and climbed up the path, through a small waterfall, great fun:
ImageDSC_3436 20170921_134505 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

After the climb the view south down Loch Long and the Clyde opened up... :D
ImageDSC_3444 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Easy going now...
ImageDSC_3447 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I was making decent progress, the joy of walking solo, and behind me the view kept on improving, Ben Venue and others now in view, time for a nosey...
ImageDSC_3450 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

L to R: Ben Ledi behind Cruachan, Ben Venue, Cruinn a'Bheinn & Cruach Tairbeirt in the foreground:
ImageDSC_3459 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Heading up Cruach nam Miseag, Ben Arthur now in view to the south:
ImageDSC_3471 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Loch Long, the Firth of Clyde and Arran:
ImageDSC_3473 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The Brack directly south:
ImageDSC_3477 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Right next to Ben Arthur, probably one of my favourite shots:
ImageDSC_3478 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

It's hard not to love it, despite popularity:
ImageDSC_3480 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Atop Cruach nam Miseag I stop for a photo break...
ImageDSC_3484 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Loch Lomond and Loch Long Grahams:
ImageDSC_3485 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Distant Arran peaks:
ImageDSC_3489 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Crowds of ants atop Ben Lomond:
ImageDSC_3496 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Venue, climbed a few months ago, a great hill and viewpoint:
ImageDSC_3500 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Stob a'Choin, looks like a steep and rocky Corbett, another one of those hills that keeps popping into view and into the mind, making me want to climb it sooner...
ImageDSC_3503 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Summit of the Brack:
ImageDSC_3507 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Arthur summit:
ImageDSC_3514 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Satisfied, I press on to the top of Cruach nam Miseag...
ImageDSC_3525 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

...passing a muddy bit and continuing up the path:
ImageDSC_3529 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Again the view opens up and changing light conditions make it a joy to be out on the hills, time for another nosey...

Mid Hill (Beinn Dubh) behind me:
ImageDSC_3530 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Vane & Ben Vorlich above Creag Tharsuinn:
ImageDSC_3531 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Beinn Narnain's Corbett top A'Chrois, Crianlarich Munros now coming into view. I was very tempted to finish the walk that way but decided to leave it for another day:
ImageDSC_3532 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Up ahead, the Spearhead comes into view... cool!
ImageDSC_3534 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Meanwhile, down Loch Long a rainshower targets Coulport...
ImageDSC_3537 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Things just got interesting!
ImageDSC_3543 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ah the joy I felt looking at the Spearhead, I feel i've been restricted on recent walks, now I could have some proper fun!
ImageDSC_3545 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

It was still raining around Cove Bay and Gareloch:
ImageDSC_3550 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The approach:
ImageDSC_3556 20170921_145115 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Although looking impenetrable at first, the closer you get you can make out the path going up to the left, then it goes right through the boulders, then up towards the Spearhead and to the right:
ImageDSC_3557 20170921_145241 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Rain passing now:
ImageDSC_3557 20170921_145334 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

It was a fun path to climb, a piece of cake actually:
ImageDSC_3561 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The scenery was like something from a sci-fi film:
ImageDSC_3564 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben More and Stob Binnein looking dominant to the north east:
ImageDSC_3567 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Campsies, Conic Hill, Loch Lomond and Glasgow beyond:
ImageDSC_3571 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Yet another view down Loch Long and the Firth of Clyde... sorry!
ImageDSC_3576 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

On the right I could see a fair few folk enjoying Ben Vorlich:
ImageDSC_3580 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

To the far east, the other Ben Vorlich, Stuc a'Chroin and Beinn Each:
ImageDSC_3595 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Loch Arklet and Loch Katrine:
ImageDSC_3596 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Ledi:
ImageDSC_3597 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Venue summit, a very enjoyable walk:
ImageDSC_3600 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Stirlingshire:
ImageDSC_3604 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Dumgoyne, Glasgow and distant Biggar hills including Culter Fell:
ImageDSC_3615 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Culter Fell, Tinto and Glasgow:
ImageDSC_3616 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Tinto Hill, Loch Lomond, Glasgow and Auchineden Hill:
ImageDSC_3617 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Duncolm, Glasgow and Cathkin Braes with the Lowther Hills beyond:
ImageDSC_3623 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Beinn Dubh, Corse Hill and distant Cairn Table, i've walked up most of the hills south of Glasgow now enjoying the view north to Beinn Narnain and friends, it's much more fun being on the bigger hills enjoying the view south though. :D
ImageDSC_3626 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The mouth of the mighty River Clyde, Gare Loch, Cumbrae, Ailsa Craig and Holy Isle:
ImageDSC_3636 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_3640 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_3642 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Yet again the changing light and shadows was illuminating the landscape and it was as if the hills were lining up to be in shot... :wink:
ImageDSC_3651 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_3652 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_3656 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Happy at having a good gander south to the big smoke of Glasgow, I continue the climb to the Spearhead:
ImageDSC_3674 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Just below the summit and Spearhead is a large boulder ampitheatre, impressive:
ImageDSC_3677 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Atop the Spearhead, having a lord of the rings moment!
ImageDSC_3679 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Back on the path it's just a short distance tot he big flat top of Beinn Narnain, so the view north opens very quickly and is brilliant, Beinn Bhuidhe on the left with the Glen Coe and Glen Etive giants in the distance, from the huge looking Ben Starav to the mini-mountain range Bidean nam Bian:
ImageDSC_3684 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Directly north is Ben Lui, Ben Oss, Ben Vane in the foreground, Beinn Dorain and Tyndrum hills with Beinn a'Chreachain prominent in shadow:
ImageDSC_3687 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The Crianlarich 7 with Ben Vorlich front left and A'Chrois summit front right:
ImageDSC_3692 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Strathyre and Trossachs with the 3 lochs:
ImageDSC_3695 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Lomond in full glory:
ImageDSC_3699 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Right enough! I'm almost at the summit and make a bee line for the trig point:
ImageDSC_3704 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_3706 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Made it, Munro number 13 with Beinn an Lochain and Beinn Ime (both conquered earlier this year) framing a nice summit shot:
ImageDSC_3714 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

In the distance is Mull and Ben More, visibility is great today!
ImageDSC_3719 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Beinn Ime and it's impressive crags, plus to the left of that you can see the line of rocks where my bro made it to on my 40th earlier this year before turning back. He was above Munro height but didn't have the will power and leg strength to continue and I didn't want to force the issue. I'm sure i'll get him back there one day to finish what he started! :D Distant Dalmally peaks can be seen to the right, in the background above the crags you can make out Stob Diamh, Beinn a'Chochuill, Beinn Bhuidhe & Beinn Eunaich:
ImageDSC_3721 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

It's a huge summit area, you could easily have a gathering of hundreds up here:
ImageDSC_3726 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

South:
ImageDSC_3728 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

To the south west, Ben Donich with the Paps of Jura behind the summit and Islay in the far distance on the right:
ImageDSC_3733 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Beinn an Lochain west with Mull beyond:
ImageDSC_3735 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Mull and Beinn Luibhean:
ImageDSC_3736 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

By now i've moved to the cairn west of the trig point as it's a better viewpoint to the east. Behind it creates a nice shot of Ben Lomond with the pillar:
ImageDSC_3745 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

This shot is for my mate Drew who was up Ben Arthur for the first time recently and loved it as he saw this view down to the Rosneath peninsula where he grew up, the first time he had done so. He enjoyed it so much he's now itching to climb more of these hills! :clap:
ImageDSC_3752 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Distant Arran:
ImageDSC_3755 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Goatfell, Mullach Buidhe, Beinn a'Chliabhain, Cir Mhor, Beinn Tarsuinn and Caisteal Abhail:
ImageDSC_3758 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Arthur with Ben Bheula behind it:
ImageDSC_3762 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

THE summit... nobody threading the needle and scrambling to the top... very unusual, it's usually mobbed!
ImageDSC_3764 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

To my surprise though, when looking at this photo of Arthur's Seat at home I spotted the red jackets of two climbers making their way up, hope they knew what they were doing, looks pretty exposed where they are... :shock:
ImageDSC_3766 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I do spot a few people on the north peak, maybe I just missed them at the summit:
ImageDSC_3767 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I zoom in on Beinn an Lochain's steep and rocky summit area, what a hill it is, it packs a lot into a short walk!
ImageDSC_3771 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Beinn Ime summit, with the crag/shelf on the left now know as "Stu's failure". :lol: Look how close he was to the top, maybe I should have tried to persuade him harder to continue but those last two steep sections were just too much for him. Another day bro.... :wink:
ImageDSC_3774 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I might be in love with this lens... Stob Diamh:
ImageDSC_3776 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Beinn Bhuidhe and Beinn Eunaich... :D
ImageDSC_3779 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Starav.... instantly jumping up to the top ten of hills I want to climb next! :shock: :D
ImageDSC_3781 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Glas Bheinn Mhor:
ImageDSC_3786 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Stob Coir'an Albannaich in front of the mighty bulk of Bidean nam Bian which is every background peak in this shot!
ImageDSC_3790 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Meall nan Eun:
ImageDSC_3791 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Nevis, heid in the clouds... :roll: :lol:
ImageDSC_3793 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Stob Garbh behind Beinn a'Chleibh, Criese back right:
ImageDSC_3796 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Lui, a grand mountain and fine walk, need to return to it one day to climb it from Cononish and hopefully on a day when i'll be able to see from the summit!
ImageDSC_3798 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Oss with Stob Coire Easain and Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin behind to the left:
ImageDSC_3803 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Beinn dorain back left, Beinn Dubhcraig middle and Ben vane summit in foreground:
ImageDSC_3805 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

L-R: An Caisteal, Beinn Chabhair, Ben More, Cruach Ardrain, Beinn a'Chroin and Stob Binnein:
ImageDSC_3807 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben More dominant:
ImageDSC_3808 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Stob Binnein:
ImageDSC_3811 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

To the east Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin:
ImageDSC_3812 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The changing light made being on Beinn Narnain today an absolute joy, with all the time in the world to take photos and enjoy the scenery:
ImageDSC_3814 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Having taken photos of almost every peak around me I decide to make my way down to Bealach a'Mhaim, leaving the summit cairn where I sat and snacked while soaking in the brilliant surroundings:
ImageDSC_3818 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I really enjoy the Arrochar Alps, so many easily accessible hills in close proximity, you can either fully enjoy one or do multiple hills in many orders. Then it's just an hour back to Glasgow but as I climb more of them, the distant peaks especially around Glen Coe & Glen Etive keep on teasing me and it's only a matter of time until i'm flying past the southern highlands en route to these giants with every trip north.

Beinn an Lochain, Beinn Luibhean, Binnein an Fhidhleir and Mull beyond:
ImageDSC_3822 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

It was coming down off the summit of Beinn Narnain that I was shocked to bump into two other ramblers, having had the hill all to myself until now. I chatted briefly to the guy ascending to the summit and said a hello to the guy sitting having a snack a bit further down.

Beinn Ime on the descent:
ImageDSC_3823 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Vane and Ben Vorlich, the two remaining Munros for me in Arrochar:
ImageDSC_3828 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

On the descent I somehow found myself between the path I should have been on and what looked like another down to the left, I managed to get back on track and the path improved significantly:
ImageDSC_3838 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

A sign indicated recent path work and I was surprised to see that this had now been extended along to the base of Beinn Ime so it must have been done this summer as Stu and I had to traverse the older muddy path when we climbed in May.

ImageDSC_3852 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Down on almost level ground I head down the path and encounter this wee toad on the path, luckily spotting him in time and he kindly allowed me a very close up shot:
ImageDSC_3859 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The Allt is that way buddie >>> :lol:
ImageDSC_3867 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Arthur looks majestic as I pass with the sun about to pass behind it, autumn colours starting to show through:
ImageDSC_3877 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I make fast progress down the path and enjoy the new evening colours on Ben Lomond and Ben Reoch on the way:
ImageDSC_3882 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I've never actually sat under the Narnain Boulders before and as I was one of only a handful of people enjoying the Alps today it was available for a quick seat and photo opportunity:
ImageDSC_3883 20170921_163812 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

At the zig zag path I finally met a few other people, what looked like tourists heading up in shorts with cameras, hopefully not starting their walks this late in the day. I then passed a couple who had been up Ben Arthur but didn't do the summit. I may have annoyed them when I mentioned that the scramble is the most technically difficult mainland summit, the girl looked like she wanted to go back and try it! :lol:

Longer shadows indicate the tail end of the day, Cruach Tairbeirt ahead:
ImageDSC_3884 20170921_165837 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I then passed a woman with her two dogs and we got chatting, she was visiting from Yorkshire and we had a right good blether about Scotland, walking, mountains, dogs, Arran, the Lake District... it felt like I was catching up on human conversation and contact after a day on the hill when I only met two other people!

With the dogs stalling we said cheerio and I made my way back to the car in just under 5 hours, not bad going considering all my photo stops.

Beinn Narnain's Creag an Fhithich and Cruach nam Miseag now looked raidant in the evening sunlight with the colours even more vivid than earlier in the day:
ImageDSC_3888 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I saddled up and headed in to Glasgow to visit my bro and sister in law. In the time between then and now I have become a proud Uncle and look forward to taking wee Sandy up his first hill in a few years time!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Chris Mac

Munros:40   Corbetts:22
Grahams:10   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:10   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland