walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lairg Ghru

Lairg Ghru

Postby Scottk » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:02 pm

Date walked: 01/09/2017

Distance: 55 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Left work on Friday late afternoon and drove to the Linn of Dee. Turned out to be the weekend of the Braemar Gathering so it was busy!
Took the bike into Derry Lodge and left it there and continued on foot to Corrour Bothy. Walked up the back towards Devils point to try and get a mobile signal so I could message my wife but no joy.
Walked back across to the other side of the burn and walked on looking for a suitable pitch. Eventually found one about 30 minutes later. It was a bit soggy but a good spot. Pitched the tent while dodging the midges! Cooked some dinner and bailed into the tent. Got a good sleep although the waterfall sounded quite loud during the night. The wind got up and the tent started flapping so I had to go out and attach the guys to the hoop. I should have done this initially - lesson learned!
Woke about 6 and packed up and started walking. Walked to the memorial for the bothy and went up the hill to get some sun. Had some porridge and a coffee (accompanied by half a dozen midges swimming in it). Went down, filled my water bottle and carried on to Rothiemurchus forest. Walked down to Piccadilly and decided I was running out of time to get the circuit round Lairig an Laoich so backtracked the way I came.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland