walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen feshie double

Glen feshie double

Postby Coop » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:50 pm

Route description: Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir

Munros included on this walk: Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir, Sgòr Gaoith

Date walked: 05/10/2017

Time taken: 6.666 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1100m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day one of 4
Wee photo stop at Ruthven Barracks on the way to Gen Feshie.
Parked up and set off in the direction of the boulder which points you up.
Good path all the way to the cairn at Carn Ban Mor with quite a few paths leading off.
Left turn Clyde and head up to Sgor Gaoith.
No cairn but you'll know when your on the high point - a pointy cliff edge dropping into the abyss.
Mist was down and only had glimpses down to Loch Eanaich and across to the corries. Walked on for a few hundred metres along the edge to try for better views; on a good clear day I can see this being a fantastic viewpoint.
Back down to the cairn then where I had veered off a wee bit but picked up another path which led to it.
The night before- I had marked the path and track on my map which led round the bogs- but did I go that way ; No!
I ploughed straight through thinking it wouldn't be too bad. Wrong!
Bogs and peat gags all the way, and you can see the land rover track up on the hill where you're heading for. Eventually reached it and followed it all the way (it splits at the descent) to the summit almost.
Not much to say about Mullach clach a bhair- the cairn doesn't even look to be at the highest point- hills and high points are deceiving as we know.
Best part of the walk for me was the descent and the corries on the right - fantastic.
Back down to Glen Feshie and the good walk out. Couple of places to ford the streams going into the River Feshie. The damage is still there to the path where it's been washed away before!!

One reindeer munching away by the wee metal bridge. Must have had a fair hike from the main herd to get here. Called in at the Reindeer centre and passed the info on and the lady said one or two of them like it over that way
Headed to aviemore where I stopped to watch a wee red squirrel.

Note to self - go a different route next time to mullach clach a bhair!!!

One reindeer, one red squirrel, one hawky type raptor.

Good day overall.
Cheers
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland