walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Drumelzier circuit

Drumelzier circuit

Postby weaselmaster » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:07 pm

Donalds included on this walk: Drumelzier Law, Middle Hill, Pykestone Hill

Date walked: 05/10/2017

Time taken: 3.25 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 963m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sunshine in the forecast - thought I'd get out somewhere - the Drumelzier circuit wasn't too far away and short enough to get back through Glasgow before the traffic got busy. Left after 9 and had a pleasant drive through, the M74 works now complete. Took a minor road from Coulter to Broughton. Parked up just before the phone box and set off.

drumz.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Pykestone first - good going, not too boggy. Made good time, around 1 hour. Wind quite cold up high. Over towards Middle Hill, stop for a quick lunch in a dip. Middle Hill summit marked with 4 splayed stakes. Headed out to Taberon Law, a Donald Top I had omitted last time we were here. Ran the downhill sections. Good views north to the Pentlands and Moorfoot Hills. Back to Middle Hill and down to Glenstivon Dodd where I met the 2 ladies from the car park. Continued to run the downhill bits to Drumelzier and back to the car.

ImageP1170689 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1170691 by Al, on Flickr

Pykestone
ImageP1170692 by Al, on Flickr

Middle Hill
ImageP1170693 by Al, on Flickr

Taberon Law
ImageP1170694 by Al, on Flickr

Taberon summit looking to Pentlands
ImageP1170695 by Al, on Flickr

Middle Hill from Taberon
ImageP1170696 by Al, on Flickr

Drumelzier
ImageP1170697 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1170699 by Al, on Flickr

Lush valley
ImageP1170700 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1170701 by Al, on Flickr

Autumn is definitely here
ImageP1170702 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1170703 by Al, on Flickr

GPS clearly hadn't logged on when I started the route and as a result has my max speed 167kph :lol: One for Alteknacker there!
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland