walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Southern Upland Way - St Mary's Loch to Minch Moor

Southern Upland Way - St Mary's Loch to Minch Moor

Postby andrewl7642 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:20 pm

Route description: Southern Upland Way 8: St Mary's Loch to Traquair

Date walked: 09/05/2017

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 18.75 km

Ascent: 823m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Southern Upland Way is Scotland's first and only official coast-to-coast long distance route, running across the country from the Atlantic Ocean to the North Sea. From Portpatrick on the west coast the route runs 341 kilometres to Cove and Cockburnspath on the east coast.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After a day off, leaving a gap between Moffat and St. Mary's Loch (walked the previous year) I returned to St Mary's Loch to continue and complete my journey on the Southern Upland Way. I camped at Loch of the Lowes before setting off in the morning, solo.

I walked the length of St Mary's Loch and paid a visit to Dryhope Tower before popping over the summit of Blake Muir. I eventually passed through Traquair and continued to Minch Moor, hoping to find a suitable area for wild camping by the old Minch Moor Bothy. The bothy was long gone (demolished) and the ground around it wasn't the best for camping on so I carried on a little further to the edge of the forest where I found an adequate spot for camping just off the path.

Next Stage: Minch Moor to near Lauder, passing through Galashiels and Melrose ...
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=76043
andrewl7642
Scrambler

Munros:16   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland