walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Tee and Druim na h-Earbha - some autumn gold

Ben Tee and Druim na h-Earbha - some autumn gold

Postby malky_c » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:57 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Tee

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Druim na h-Earba

Date walked: 07/10/2017

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 1010m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Corbetts: Ben Tee
Sub 2000 Marilyns: Druim na h-Earbha.
Date: 07/10/2017.
Distance: 9.5 + 2 km.
Ascent: 890m + 120m.
Time: 3 hours, 45 minutes + 45 minutes.
Weather: Light showers, in/out of cloud, breezy, some sunshine.

I was heading down to Glencoe for the night, which would ideally have resulted in a day out in the hills down there. The weather forecast was looking poor though, getting worse towards Loch Linnhe, so I decided to stop off while things still looked semi-reasonable. Although I thought I'd packed every conceivable map, I'd forgotten the one with Ben Tee on it. Oh well - I remembered it being pretty straightforward, and I was able to get enough signal on my phone to get a screen shot of the right bit. I was pretty sure I wouldn't get lost and perish!

Ben Tee.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

For some time I have been quite keen on the idea of a horseshoe around Coire Glas, so I set off with that in mind. I didn't think I'd get any further than Ben Tee unless there was a drastic improvement in the weather though, so I stretched the beginning of the walk out a little by following the Kilfinnan Burn right in to the waterfalls. I haven't seen these close up before, and it's worth the effort. There is a fairly off-the-beaten-track feel to the glen, with only a faint deer track to follow, and after an impressive view of the falls, it's quite an effort to extract yourself back onto the more conventional route up Ben Tee.

Heading up to the falls

Kilfinnan Falls

Kilfinnan Falls

Looking back to Loch Lochy

After looking at the falls, if you want to avoid retracing your steps, there is quite a steep pull up through deep heather, bracken and small trees before a deer fence is reached. Once over the fence, I was on some semblance of a path heading towards Ben Tee.

Kilfinnan Burn above the falls

Cruiser heading for Fort William

I can't remember finding a path previously, but then it is easily lost and rather wet. It was across the moorland, up the lower slopes of the summit cone and into the cloud.

Approaching Ben Tee

There was little to see at the top but I stopped for lunch anyway, sheltering from the wind on a lee slope. I'm glad I did hang around, as there were some intermittent clearings towards Sron a' Choire Ghairbh and Loch Garry, the latter with some beautiful autumn colours. The ridge up onto Meall a' Choire Ghlais looked tempting, but not tempting enough to convince me to carry on.

Meall a' Choire Ghlais from Ben Tee

Loch Garry and Meall Dubh

Loch Garry

I decided to go back down a similar way, although I somehow missed the path for the majority of it. It made little odds though.

Meall nan Dearcag

Coire Glas

I didn't repeat my route past the waterfalls, and stayed out on the moorland instead, dropping down directly above the car. The sun came out over Loch Lochy and it was worthy of another stop to enjoy the colours.

Meall nan Dercag

Loch Lochy

Ceann Loch

Loch Lochy

Laggan Locks

Given the forecast, this little walk turned out way better than expected. I didn't think I was going that slowly either, but I almost doubled up on my previous ascent time by a similar route, which I have recorded as 2 hours! I think I was racing the darkness, and probably ran the entire descent back then.

It was early in the day, so with the weather improving a little, I decided on another little wander above Fort William. I remember Druim na h-Earba as a handy viewpoint for Loch Linnhe, and somewhere you can see all the way down to Mull from - all for a 15 minute or so ascent.

Druim na h-Earbha.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I parked up at the viewpoint layby above Upper Achintore and headed through a gate. There is a trodden way all the way to the summit, so I'm far from the only person to appreciate the ease of views from here. It was rather muddy though, more so than I remember. Must just be the amount of rain we seem to be getting this October.

Stronchreggan and Stob Coire a’ Chearcaill

Loch Linnhe looking NE

SW down Loch Linnhe

ImageFirth of Lorn

Caol and Loch Linnhe

Fort William

Fort William

No need to say much about the route! Back down the same way and then on to Glencoe for a few drinks.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Ben Tee and Druim na h-Earbha - some autumn gold

Postby Jaxter » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:14 am

Some cracking photos there, especially the last few of Loch linnhe! :clap:

I'm disappointed you didn't cycle to glencoe though.... :lol: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:06 am

Beautiful colours of autumn despite the cloud :D We're thinking of visiting Ben Tee during the next WH meet. We did it once in winter conditions but saw nothing from the summit... Hopefully second time lucky!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby rockhopper » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:38 pm

Interesting way to ascend Ben Tee via the waterfall
Nice to see the autumnal colours coming through strongly - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby dogplodder » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:19 am

I wondered what it would be like to link the falls with Ben Tee - so thanks for this as now I know. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:16 pm

Brilliant pics looking SW down Loch Linnhe :clap: :clap: :clap:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:20 pm

Nice one Malky. I have visited the Kilfinnan Falls a few times and would recommend them for a visit on their own, and a must visit for anyone who is going up Ben Tee anyway. I have never seen them with as much water as your pictures though - looks impressive.
A few years back I went up Ben Tee from the north via the Bealach Easain I think it is an old right of way from Tomdoun to Kilfinnan. An area which is rarely visited by hillwalkers but it is signposted. :crazy:
Ben Tee from the north with directions. :D
P1030863.JPG
Sunset tripper

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland