walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dorain & Beinn an Dothaidh

Beinn Dorain & Beinn an Dothaidh

Postby Jmunro73 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:05 pm

Date walked: 11/10/2017

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 14.8 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A bleak wet October Morning as I started my ascent up from Bridge of Orchy station. The rain eventually gave up but low cloud remained for most of the day until I I was halfway down my decent from the Bealach. The path is quite clear, but today it was a like walking in a peat bog with a running stream, making the walk a little bit tougher. I chose to do Beinn an Dothaidh first after reaching the bealach which is well defined. The climb up was quite scrambly and made worse by the wet boggy ground & low lying cloud almost all the way to the top. I never spent much time at this summit and quickly made my way back down to the Bealach. From here I made my way up the path towards Beinn Dorain which was much more pleasant and a bit more solid underfoot. The views again were almost none existent due to the cloud and upon reaching the summit the rain and wind started to batter down making my stay short. On the whole and given the saturated conditions I made both summits in quick time, albiet the decent was quite precarious in parts. I only met a few people coming up whilst I was going down. Enjoyed the day although I did feel it was a bit of a struggle due to the soft boggy ground.
Jmunro73
Hill Bagger

Munros:9   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland