walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Luidh Mor - little to see, little to say!

Meall Luidh Mor - little to see, little to say!

Postby malky_c » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:15 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meall Luidh Mor

Date walked: 08/10/2017

Time taken: 3.1 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 330m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sub 2000 Marilyns: Meall Luidh Mor.
Date: 08/10/2017.
Distance: 11 km.
Ascent: 330m.
Time: 3 hours, 10 minutes.
Weather: Calm and drizzly with a low cloudbase

Woke up at the independent hostel in Glencoe on Sunday morning with a refreshing lack of hangover - although the Clachaig had been bouncing the night before, I had been fairly restrained for a change. Could get used to this! Initially I had my sights set on Meall Mor and perhaps Sgorr a' Choise, but a wave of low cloud and drizzle soon descended, so I decided to do something less ambitious.

I hit the road home with the intention of going the long way round via Loch Laggan and Speyside in the hope of finding marginally more pleasant weather. I didn't entirely succeed, but it wasn't really that bad, just eerie and dull, so I opted to wander out to Meall Luidh Mor.

Meall Luidh Mor.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

River Spean at Luiblea

Parking up with a load of other vehicles (who's owners had presumably headed off for the Ardverikie hills, I left the car shortly before 11am and wandered along the track towards Corrour Lodge. Although there had been a couple of freak cloud breaks on my way over, even the modest Meall Luidh Mor had it's head in the cloud now, at little over 500m high. Any interesting panoramas I had hoped to get of Binnein Shuas and Lochan na h-Earba would be hidden. The cloud lifted a little on Creag Mheagaidh however, giving me something to look at.

Towards Meall Coire Choille-rais

I left the main Corrour track onto another broad forestry track which climbed around the back of Meall Luidh Mor. A hydro scheme was being built around the back of here, so the track was also well surfaced. After I had rounded the eastern end of the hill, I followed a fire break up onto the hill. This was probably a little premature, but it got me onto the eastern end of the summit ridge/plateau without too much bother. Some eerie reflections were the best of the views.

Woodland colours

On the summit plateau, this is about as good as it gets

I made my way west to the summit cairn and trig point and stopped for a lunch break. Nothing to see initially, but the cloud did gradually lift to give me a very limited appreciation of my surroundings. The summit area was all golden grass and perched boulders, so was actually quite pleasant.

Descending the SE face of Meall Luidh Mor

I dropped more steeply between crags down the southern face and followed another firebreak for a short while, making a right turn onto a perpendicular one. This landed me back on the forestry track, where I was soon at the point I had left it and strolling back to the car. A couple with a dog were out walking - should have asked if they were heading up the hill.

Lochan an Tuirc and Loch Laggan

Creag Mhor

Fair to say that was one of the least eventful walks I've been on in a while, but nothing particularly unpleasant on it. I had planned to nip up it on a mammoth Great Glen/Loch Laggan/Speyside circuit on the bike, but I daresay I would have missed it out if I'd even managed to do the cycling part!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland