walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A horrible day on Meall Mor (Glencoe)

A horrible day on Meall Mor (Glencoe)

Postby rob munbett » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:27 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Meall Mór (Glencoe)

Date walked: 06/10/2017

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was heading up for our group's annual trip to the Corran bunkhouse but the weather was predicted to be pretty poor with strong winds, heavy rain and low cloud. Added to this, I was struggling a bit with a problem Achilles tendon and shin splints. Hence the lengthy gap in reports. Still, I fancied a walk and this was a hill I felt I could manage. I had planned to save it for a good day but it was the best option on this particular day, I felt. Not to be, unfortunately.

I parked at the visitor centre and followed the black trail at the back of the car park, turning right on to a blue trail through a felled area for a short distance until it reached a wide, well surfaced forest road which meandered on a gentle incline all the way to the bealach between Meall Mor and the lower hill with the mast. So far so good. Here, a rough, very wet track led through an area of felled trees to the corner of a fence. I followed the fence until I reached a gate at NN095563. I went through the gate and started up the hillside. Ominously, though, the wind was getting up, making progress more difficult and the rain started to become heavy and dark clouds were scudding over the summits of even the lower hills. The last 150 metres of ascent were a bit of a battle with nothing to see but the rain stinging my face. It was a fast turnaround from the top! As always seems to happen, things cleared a bit as I got lower and decided to pop over to 'mast hill' which was clear to get some views and finally have a snack. It was a pleasant, easy stroll back down the forest road with good views to enjoy, despite the increasing pains in my shins.
P1030764.JPG
The Pap and Sgorr nam Fiannaidh
Glencoe Pan.JPG
Glencoe and Bidean
Ballachuilish Pan.JPG
Ballachuilish and Sgorr Dhearg
P1030771.JPG
Looking over to 'mast hill'

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland