walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Rubers Law from the east

Rubers Law from the east

Postby McMole » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:34 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Rubers Law

Date walked: 30/09/2017

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 4.3 km

Ascent: 310m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I parked on the minor road to the east of Rubers Law where field gates on either side of the road gave enought room for parking without obstructing access (NT 5954 1546). This is also the start of a track that parallels the road heading south for 170m then turns to climb gently towards the summit between hedges with fields full of sheep and further on some cattle to either side.
Rubers Law route s.gif
P1010948 s.JPG
Walking up the track directly towards the summit
It continues after a dogleg through a gate up beside a strip of trees. I followed the path through another gate into the field to the south still heading straight uphill.
P1010949 s.JPG
Looking back at my ascent route
This led me up steeper bracken covered slopes to where I had a short stop for a snack just after (as I later discovered) I crossed a path which would have led me to a gate through the wall I was shortly to climb. A short ascent then over that wall joined a path from the north along to the trig point.
P1010960 s.JPG
Shower approaching from the south
A black cloud was slowly blowing over the summit from the south and I could see a shower gradually approaching.
P1010961 s.JPG
View north to the Eildon Hills
P1010962 s.JPG
The trig point has a Borders Exploration Group plaque on one side and a circular indicator plate on top with local places and hills named with their distances. The countries visited by BEG international expeditions are named with their distances and year just inside the perimeter of the plate.
P1010952 s.JPG
Plaque on trig point pillar
P1010959 s.JPG
Indicator
Nearby a basalt column has a plaque placed by the local parishes in 2000.
P1010963 s.JPG
View SE from trig point with plaque visible on basalt column.
P1010965 s.JPG
The plaque
From the summit area I followed a path south then east into a shallow gully and steeply down to a gate hanging by a single hinge through the surrounding dry stone dyke.
P1010967 s.JPG
My approach route up the centre of the photo and my descent path heading to the left just after the gate
A reasonably well-used path led from there to cross my ascent route and then follow the north side of the fields I'd passed by on their south on my way up.
P1010969 s.JPG
The path heading through now very wet bracken
As I did so the promised rain arrived. My kagool kept my top dry for the few minutes it lasted, but the path then headed on through dripping bracken that soon soaked my trousers.
P1010970 s.JPG
The gate and direction indicator post I found on my way down
P1010971 s.JPG
One of the signposts
About 1km from the gate there was another gate with better hinges and a direction post, then a couple of signposts pointing back to Rubers Law as the path joined a good track heading down through the forest to the road about 400m from my start point and my car.
P1010973 s.JPG
The track on the right that was my descent route and opposite the entrance to West Lees.
P1010975 s.JPG
The signposts indicate that this must be an 'approved' route, but there is a certain lack of car parking at the start of the track and a locked barrier to prevent vehicular access, so I'd still favour my starting point and uphill route with a slight change to use the gate instead of climbing the wall.
McMole
Walker

Munros:141   Corbetts:50
Fionas:40   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:149   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   

Re: Rubers Law from the east

Postby Stefan1 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:16 pm

Nice snaps, pleasant countryside!
Stefan1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland