walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Casteal and Bein a'Chroin

An Casteal and Bein a'Chroin

by matt0129081 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:55 pm

Route description: An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chròin, near Crianlarich

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chròin

Date walked: 09/10/2010

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: An Casteal and Bein a'Chroin

Postby houdi » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:15 am

Pleased you cleared that up matt as I was beginning to think I'd been in the Twilight Zone on Sunday!! Yes, Saturday was a much better day. I did Stob a' Choire Odhair and Stob Ghabar that day and, although these two did not lift their heads out of the clouds all day (just my luck again) everywhere else seemed to have beautiful clear blue skies. There wasn't a cloud in sight over Ben Cruachan. And, yes, it was breezy on Saturday but not to the extremes of Sunday.
Fudgie - I did An Caisteal on NY Day this year and had brilliant views, but it was too icy to continue on to Beinn a' Chroin (I don't have crampons) so, like you with Chabhair, I will have to do this one again. Will probably combine it with Beinn Chabhair next time, which I haven't done yet.
MC - Yes, the walk out along the valley is definitely the boggiest (and longest) route I've ever experienced. I will never complain about the bogs in the Lairig Gartain again after this.
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby robertian » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:33 pm

On doing An Casteal a few weeks ago , I noticed that you dont actually have to cross the boggy field at the beginning/ end of the walk. On returning to the layby I actually just walked through the river rather than crossing the bridge , in order to clean my boots and gaiters. At the north end of the layby there is a gate and if you follow the track it takes you down under the railway and to the river. I wonder how many walkers have had filthy manky boots BEFORE they even get to the underpass ?
Cheers
Ian
robertian
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby houdi » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:54 pm

Ditto Robertian. I parked my car near that gate and saw a couple of lads going that way, so I followed them. Didn't have to cross that boggy field at all.
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland