walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buachaille Etive Mor

Buachaille Etive Mor

Postby tomyboy73 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:29 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 08/10/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 726m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

An invite from my cousin to go up to Glencoe could not be ignored as i wanted to do the buachaille since last year when i walked the west highland way. We set off knowing it was going to be a dry sunny day, but never sure of the amount of cloud up top. Sure enough as we came round the bend in the road where this majestic mountain apears it was in fact covered with a huge wispy, white wig. Still I felt pretty excited about the day ahead. It was soon clear that the wind up here blows much harder than in arrochar and loch lomond where i`ve done most of my walks and i got wrapped up pretty quick.
IMG_1169.JPG
this one looks clearer !

There`s a short walk in from the car parking area (not exactly a car park with all the rocks and holes, not to mention the absence of an irratating, tempermental parking meter) over a footbridge across the river etive(?) and gradually leading you to the first initially, steep climb up through a kind of narrow corrie which is a competely different from the iconic image of this mountain. During the first twenty minutes or so i thought my thighs were going to burst but eventually after finding my rhythm and stopping for lunch an hour in i was absolutely fine. The path up is essentially a giant staircase and i imagine a lot of work has been put in on this path otherwise you`d be scrambling up through lots of scree for hours.
IMG_1170.JPG
misty mountain

IMG_1174.JPG
the view behind us

Before you get to the top of the corrie which splits the two munros there is a bit of scrambling to be done and i was beginning to think what it must be like doing something like this in the snow, and was thinking maybe i wont do something like this in the snow, maybe just build a snowman :shock:
Anyway as we got to this bit it was pretty obvious the cloud was here to stay and we headed off left( or east or south or something, i don`t know) for the closer and higher summit of Stob Dearg.
IMG_1177.JPG
looking into glencoe (honest)

It didn`t take us much longer to reach the summit and the path is quite clear through the boulders even in the cloud. We stopped at the top for something to eat and watched some foreign climbers who had scrambled up the "front" smoke incredibly large cigarettes before taking just the one pic as there was absolutely nothing to see from up here today.
IMG_1185.JPG
nice hat !

We decided to head down rather than do the other munro, but i will return and hopefully have a clearer day.
IMG_1199.JPG
nice
Last edited by tomyboy73 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Re: Buachaille Etive Mor

Postby skuk007 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:47 pm

NIce one tomyboy, enjoyed reading that. You got some nice atmospheric shots there. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby tomyboy73 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:50 pm

cheers skuk, just checked out your report of this, so jealous ! :)
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby Scotjamie » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:05 am

good report tomyboy, atmospheric is the word - be thankful, for my last visit to both hills was a friend's topout - clag and rain from beginning to end
-
DSCN1413.JPG
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland