walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben More Mull

Ben More Mull

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:49 am

Route description: Ben More (Mull) from Dhiseig

Munros included on this walk: Ben More (Mull)

Date walked: 21/10/2017

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Short vid -

Ben More Mull

The forecast wasn’t looking great, in fact the second named storm of the season was forecast to be in the vicinity so my expectations for fine views and glorious weather were low. In fact my main worry wasn’t the hill – it was the worry that we may not get back if the ferry was cancelled!

As it turned out we were fine and in fact the weather turned out to be a lot better than forecast. No 50-60 mph winds and the rain kept off for a while at least!!

Joining a couple of friends we met up early doors (my alarm woke me at 4am – aurrghh) and we arrived in Oban in plenty of time. A leisurely coffee in Wotherspoons and soon the light had returned and the car was parked on the car deck of the Ferry. The ferry crossing turned out to be glorious, the sun broke through the clouds above Castle Duart, casting sun rays across the sea and rainbows over Mull , whilst dolphins, seals and a plethora of sea birds came to investigate the crossing across relatively flat seas.

ImageDuart Castle Mull by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageMull Rainbow Scotland by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Our first navigational error occurred about 15 seconds after making land fall. Turning left as opposed to right we were headed in the wrong direction almost immediately. However quick thinking and a u turn saw us headed in the correct direction towards Dhiseig. The car park was busy and it turned out here was a compleation group from Glasgow headed for the top – well done to John from the Glasgow hillwalking group!

Although not as bad as forecast the going was still a bit damp. Light rain fell and there had obviously been a lot of rain over the previous few day as the going underfoot was soggy to say the least! Keeping a constant pace we only had a few short breaks and soon we were ascending the slightly steeper (and less soggy) final slopes in the clag. The summit ridge reached and it was a gentle amble to the top. Only 1.5hrs after starting and we had surprised ourselves at our quick progress.

ImageBen More Mull summit ridge by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Minds were now set on maybe catching an earlier ferry and as luck would have it, we descended (into heavier rain) and by the time we reached the Ferry it was absolutely bucketing down – think we had made the most of the day!!

Back to Mull then a long drive home, I eventually got back around 19.30. A long day but a relatively short day on the hill 
wilkiemurray

Re: Ben More Mull

Postby rockhopper » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:02 pm

:) what's the story ? :wink: typical weather for a prearranged compleation by the looks of it but at least you got out (which is far more than I did ! :( ) - enjoyed that - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:53 am

Enjoyed that - quite surprised that you managed to make an entertaining vid on such a day :clap: :clap: .

You got some great views on the way up, and the stills are cracking.

But how do we know that REALLY was the summit of BM...??? It looked quite familiar, and I've not been up BM yet....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:12 pm

rockhopper wrote::) what's the story ? :wink: typical weather for a prearranged compleation by the looks of it but at least you got out (which is far more than I did ! :( ) - enjoyed that - cheers :)

Thanks Rockhopper - hope the music from the video didn't stay in your head as long as it did mine - still humming the theme tune now!! lol
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:13 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Enjoyed that - quite surprised that you managed to make an entertaining vid on such a day :clap: :clap: .

You got some great views on the way up, and the stills are cracking.

But how do we know that REALLY was the summit of BM...??? It looked quite familiar, and I've not been up BM yet....

I surprised myself too - should've just made a video of the ferry crossing ir was grand - sunrays, dolphins, rainbows!! had it all really! lol

Yeah - a misty summit- could've been anywhere ! lol

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby Andymac75 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:31 pm

Well done.

Glad you enjoyed my hill .

And an impressive time also :wink: .

Not too shabby at all.

And, I apologise on behalf of Mull for the **** weather .its thoroughly Shyte at the moment
Andymac75

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:12 am

Andymac75 wrote:Well done.

Glad you enjoyed my hill .

And an impressive time also :wink: .

Not too shabby at all.

And, I apologise on behalf of Mull for the **** weather .its thoroughly Shyte at the moment

Ha - no need to apologise - the weather was better than expected - Storm Brian failed to turn up thankfully!! :)
wilkiemurray

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland