walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glenshee western 3

Glenshee western 3

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:31 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 11/10/2017

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 595m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

What was originally going to be a solo nip up to Glenshee and return turned out to be a quartet gathering after I mentioned to George what my plan was. George being a good egg even offered to be the driver for the day, the other participants were David & Kev - both of whom I had not met before.

The plan was to meet up at the Park & Ride at 8.30 and George was even uplifting me from my front door - as usual George was early and as usual I was ready, hate being late for anything.

We left the P&R on time and George took us the scenic way to Glenshee (via Stanley), still not sure which way is quickest. Weather was fine and after we were all kitted up we set off uphill. The first hill Carn Aosda is probably the easiest Munro there is and we were on the summit in no time. After a few photo's we set off downhill having said our goodbyes to David who was only planning to attempt two Munro's Cairnwell being his next and last one.

Carn a'Gheoidh looked quite a long way off but once we negotiated the boggy lower slopes between the hills it was easy going and it wasn't too long before we were ascending to the summit where a large and shelter exists.
We utilised the shelter as our lunch stop, before continuing on our merry way.

The final hill the Cairnwell is littered with masts and technology and offers great views in all directions. The wind had increased and we didn't linger long on the summit, the track off the summit is like a motorway and descending was easy.

We met up with David who had finished his outing about an hour before us and was really pleased with his days work, well done David a great effort.

[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4454/37381835260_044a141919_k.jpg[/img

Next outing although nothing was planned directly after the walk - is going to be a trip into the Borders to try and find some better weather. The target is a Marilyn or two south of Haddington.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland