walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Soggy Meall na Leitreach

Soggy Meall na Leitreach

Postby superstar_tradesman » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:57 pm

Route description: Meall na Leitreach, from Dalnaspidal

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall na Leitreach

Date walked: 22/10/2017

Time taken: 1.75 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 425m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was an ideal choice for an afternoon walk where I wasn't looking for something too strenuous but still wanted a proper taste of the hills. Meall na Leitreach doesn't get the best of publicity, but it gave me solitude, rainbows, and sunshine when most of its neighbours were in rainy clouds. And it gave me some pretty muddy boots too…

I set off north with either the Sow of Atholl or Meall na Leitreach in mind (and a 5% chance of both…), and arrived at Dalnaspidal around 2pm in a proper squall. This was disappointing, as I'd driven up through a gloriously sunny Perthshire only to be confronted by a wall of mist as the A9 turned west towards Drumochter. But, the BBC weather app suggested the rain wouldn't last, so I decided to sit in the car and wait for it to pass. After two trains passed, the rain stopped and the sun started to get to work.

2017-10-22 14.00.02.jpg
Sitting in the car, watching Sun vs Squall…

After a bit more faffing around, I eventually got moving, still unsure about which Corbett to go for. Having initially crossed the sluice. I looked at the Sow, and it looked back at me through the rain, and I thought "nah, another time". I turned round, and was soon on my away along the bank of the sluice, across the valley floor to join the ATV track up the north slopes of Meall na Leitreach.

2017-10-22 14.29.56 HDR.jpg
The sluice-bank approach to Meall na Leitreach

This track was seriously boggy and muddy, and while it was a helpful navigation aid, I can't say it especially helped me get up the hill more quickly. But it wasn't too far until the summit ridge, and while the breeze picked up a wee bit, it also kept the showers on the West Drumochter hills and away from me. I reached the cairn at pt 746m, briefly thinking it was the top, before remembering I had a bit more work to do.

2017-10-22 14.50.19.jpg
The Sow now in the sunshine

But the track led me all the way to the lovely short heathery—and dry—summit of Meall na Leitreach, with only a huge mountain hare for company. As I turned round, a rainbow arced over the route back to the car. The Tummel hills to the south were clear, but the hills to the north remained largely hidden by cloud.

2017-10-22 15.20.25.jpg
Farragon Hill and Beinn a'Chuallaich from the summit

2017-10-22 15.22.38.jpg
Rainbows!

There wasn't much option but to return the way I came, though this time I descended the slopes beside the track, rather than risk the inevitable wet backside from slipping in the mud. I was back at the car in about an hour and three-quarters, and decided that would do nicely for the day.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

superstar_tradesman
Mountain Walker

Munros:170   Corbetts:31
Fionas:16   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:82   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Re: Soggy Meall na Leitreach

Postby PeteR » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:10 pm

It's a shame this hill is as boggy as it is. I did it in winter, but it was still a quagmire even then..........just covered in a layer of snow :roll:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland