walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn an t-Sidhein

Beinn an t-Sidhein

Postby McMole » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:08 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn an t-Sidhein

Date walked: 26/10/2017

Time taken: 2.75 hours

Distance: 8.2 km

Ascent: 580m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The forecast was good and also correct as I arrived in the car park by the Broch Café at the south end of Strathyre. I parked next to the path along what used to be the railway line and beside a large wooden carving of an eagle.
P1020024 s.JPG
Beinn an t-Sithein route s.gif
I walked northwards along the path then turned left across the road bridge to reach the path up Beinn an t-Sidhein.
P1020017.JPG
It was closed due to felling which from the noise and piles of tree trunks was well under way. A diversion route was well signposted adding about 1km to the route and 2km to my day. The forest roads took me easily to the start of a narrower and steep incline that saw my temperature climbing in the still air. As it curved round to pass beneath An Sidhean it deteriorated into a muddy squelch through open forest where a breeze soon cooled me back down. I continued past An Sidhean to a stile over a fence.
P1020006 s.JPG
Beinn an t-Sidhein in the distance
P1020007 s.JPG
Looking back at An Sidhean
From the stile the path continued easily if a bit indistinct at times as it crossed boggier areas to the small cairn on the main summit - Beinn an t-Sidhein.
P1020008 s.JPG
The summit cairn
There is another bump nearby that is about the same height so I visited that as well. On the way back I took a narrow path up and over An Sidhean where I found a family enjoying the day and their sandwiches. After a short chat I continued along the path and found it descended steeply down to eventually reach another good path that sloped down to join my upward route.
P1020014 s.JPG
The route down
I joined it as half a dozen girls with bulging rucksacks on their Duke of Edinburgh Silver expedition reached the junction.
P1020015 s.JPG
Nearing the junction with my upward route with the DoE group approaching
They were looking forward to arriving in Strathyre, and when I reached the forest track their assessor was patiently waiting there. A fine walk on what seemed a very busy hill. I met four other parties, more than the combined total for my previous nine walks! Perhaps I need to choose better weather days more often!
Attachments
P1020011 s.JPG
Beinn an t-Sidhein from An Sidhean
McMole
Walker

Munros:141   Corbetts:50
Fionas:40   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:149   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland