walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A silver lining after being stalked off the white hill

A silver lining after being stalked off the white hill

Postby Graeme D » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:56 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Creag na Doire Duibhe

Date walked: 10/10/2017

Time taken: 1.9 hours

Distance: 5.3 km

Ascent: 270m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was Tuesday and the final day of my hill pass to coincide with Ele and Carol's birthday celebrations in Glencoe. After a fairly inclement day on Meall Lighiche on the Saturday and an absolute howler on Beinn Maol Chaluim on the Sunday, the Monday had treated me to a fine day on the round of the Fersit Munros.

As I walked off Chno Dearg back towards Fersit, I mulled over my options. I narrowed things down to two possibilities - a night in the Lairig Leachach Bothy followed by Stob Ban the next day, or camping near the Spey Dam followed by a morning raid on Geal Charn.

I settled on the latter and drove east, crossing the Spey at Laggan and looping back round on the minor road that leads to the Spey Dam. I found a nice wee spot just beyond the gate and the cattle grid on the road out to Sherrabeg and pitched for the night.

The morning brought another mixed weather picture, with some patches of blue sky but also more than just a little hint of rain in the outlook. I got packed up and ready and was off just after 9. I hadn't got too far up the road before a heavy shower came barrelling in from the west and I had only just managed to get my waterproofs on when a landrover came up the track and asked me where I was headed. The two Barbour jacketed, green wellied gents inside informed me that they were going to be carrying out deer stalking in the coire and politely but strongly suggested that I take an alternative route such as from Garva Bridge. In the end we agreed that I would continue up Glen Markie and check in with them by the Piper's Burn before continuing any further. I only got another few hundred yards though before I had a change of heart and decided to avoid the area entirely, returning to the car to consider the options.

I didn't fancy retracing my steps and heading back west to either Stob Ban or the Glen Roy hills, so the options looked like either the Graham of Creag Dubh above Kingussie or the little Sub2K of Creag na Doire Duibhe which I had always meant to stop off and do on one of my many times driving the Dalwhinnie-Laggan road. I again settled on the latter.

After a brief traffic jam caused by a farmer driving his flock along the road from one field to another, I was parked up near the Halfway House and on my way.

I was up and down in just under 2 hours, allowing plenty time to take little detours to get photos of some of the main features of this walk, most notably Loch Caoldair and Loch Glas-choire.

A very nice little bimble indeed on a pleasant autumnal day and a nice finish to a few days stravaiging! 8)

IMG_7257_zpsif8jr0ot.JPG
About as close as I was going to get to Geal Charn today

IMG_7260_zpstsir6sph.JPG
Rush hour on the A889

IMG_7262_zpsqqtbe2km.JPG
The start of the walk by the bridge just north of the Halfway House

IMG_7265_zpsrb2etpxo.JPG
The track through the forestry fords the stream several times before emerging onto the open moorland

IMG_7266_zpsmwpqfxg8.JPG
Target ahead across the heather moor

IMG_7268_zpsh6yra8wj.JPG
A few boggy sections of track to negotiate

IMG_7271_zpsu0s9lerw.JPG
Loch Glas-choire and Creag Dubh

IMG_7275_zpst8wnew3m.JPG
Looking back from the early part of the ascent

IMG_7276_zpsmyafm61l.JPG
Towards the Fara and Meall nan Eagan

IMG_7277_zps6nayhzx5.JPG
Creag na Doire Duibhe

IMG_7278_zpsyyqy6z23.JPG
Creag Doire na h-Achlaise and The Fara

IMG_7279_zpsxfjs6tzo.JPG
A paradise for hillwalking gate lovers

IMG_7280_zpsfusjbizw.JPG
Creag Dubh

IMG_7283_zpsrbysphbb.JPG
Loch Caoldair with The Fara and Meall nan Eagan behind

IMG_7285_zpsblzq5bjg.JPG
The other end of Loch Caoldair and across the A9 to some Munros

IMG_7286_zpsetasvejj.JPG
West towards the Loch Laggan hills with The Window clearly visible on Creag Meagaidh

IMG_7287_zpse29oqxxp.JPG
The Fara and Meall nan Eagan from the summit

IMG_7288_zpsuv6hhhs2.JPG
Strathspey

IMG_7291_zpsyqbaoivv.JPG
Creag Meagaidh

IMG_7293_zpsxmhfcxvw.JPG
Looking a bit rough after my four days!

IMG_7295_zpsglrvesvm.JPG
Loch Glas-choire and Creag Dubh

IMG_7296_zpsnpqxthvb.JPG
Loch Glas-choire and Creag Dubh (zoomed)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Graeme D on Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: A silver lining after being stalked off the white hill

Postby PeteR » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:53 pm

Always good to have a plan B or C, or even a D up your sleeve.

I'll need to check this hill out further as I've become rather partial to a sub 2000 or three during 2017 :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland