walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Topping Day around the Donalds

A Topping Day around the Donalds

Postby McMole » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:26 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Capel Fell, Gathersnow Hill

Donalds included on this walk: Capel Fell, Chapelgill Hill, Gathersnow Hill, Hillshaw Head

Date walked: 30/10/2017

Time taken: 6.2 hours

Distance: 21.2 km

Ascent: 1250m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I recently learnt from Dave Hewitt, compiler of the Donald Completers list, where to find it. From it I found that I was, in fact, an incomplete compleatist since I hadn't done all 140 summits listed in the current version of the list which comprises 89 main summits and 51 subsidiary summits or tops. Dave does list those who have 'only' ascended the 89 main summits, but adds brackets round their final summit to indicate they haven't done all 140. He anticipates that they will return later with a new final summit and compleation date.

I had always intended to add the remaining tops to my tally. Prompted by the imminent brackets in my Donald entry I set to work, studied the full list, and compared it with my records. I was surprised how many tops I had managed to miss by not very many hundred metres. Completing the 140 became a higher priority for me and I started earlier this week.

The forecast for Monday was for the first widespread frost of the winter and so it proved. Ice needed to scraped off car windows before I left home at 7am for the forty-four mile drive to Glenkirk at the foot of Chapelgill Hill. All the roads were free of ice and I started walking at eight thirty. Plan B was to collect the Top of Cardon Hill, continue over Culter Fell and circle east over Coomb Hill for a second Top and then down to the car. If I was going well I'd instead continue on Plan A which was to head to the southwest over Gathersnow and Hillshaw Head to the Top of Coomb Dod then retrace my route before collecting Coomb Hill. I'd calculated Naismith would take about six and a half hours and I had slightly more than eight hours to sunset at 4:40pm. The last 2.5km was also along a track giving an additional safety margin if needed.

171030 Culter Hills.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The day proceeded as planned with Chapelgill summit reached in under one hour and Cardon Hill about twenty-five minutes later.
P1020026 s.JPG
Cardon Hill from Birnies Bowrock
P1020027 s.JPG
ChapelGill and Culter Fell from Cardon Hill with Gathersnow and Hillshaw Head in the far distance
On the ridge there was a cool wind but also some sunshine. There was a red Honda quad bike parked there, but of the shepherd no sign.
P1020029.JPG
A lone Honda quad bike on King Bank Head
I was up and over Culter Fell and had started up Gathersnow Hill when I stopped for a snack after three hours and decided that Plan A was go.
P1020035 s.JPG
View from Gathersnow of Hillshaw Head and Coomb Dod
From there a steady plod with an occasional jog downhill took me to the 8m wide wind farm road from Hillshaw Head to Coomb Dod.
P1020037 s.JPG
Hillshaw Head summit
P1020038 s.JPG
Adding a top coat to the road
A scraper was applying a top dressing to it and a truck drove past as I reached it. The trig point on Coomb Dod was well eroded and I diverted to look at wind turbine number 220 before starting on the return journey with four hours still to go to sunset.
P1020039 s.JPG
Coomb Dod's eroding trig point
One hour late I stopped for a snack in the shelter of the Coomb Hill summit cairn before heading NNW and downhill.
P1020046 ss.JPG
Culter Fell and Chapelgill Hill from Coomb Hill
Part way down I found an ATV track which led me easily to the valley bottom. I soon picked up the track to pass Holms Waterhead after splashing quickly through a shallow ford to cross the Holms Burn and managed to keep my feet dry. The car was reached at quarter to three so for once I had managed to stay ahead of Naismith. :D

It had been a fine day with good views and a tremendous improvement on my last three Donald collecting walks, They had been in the clouds, though I suppose the 50m visibility did spare me the sight of wind turbines and give my camera a rest.
McMole
Walker

Munros:141   Corbetts:50
Fionas:40   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:149   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland