walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bynack More and Cairn Gorm

Bynack More and Cairn Gorm

Postby Stretch » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:51 pm

Route description: Bynack More from Glenmore

Munros included on this walk: Bynack More, Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 09/10/2010

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1300m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Saturday I took two friends up to Aviemore for their first trip into the Cairngorms. I had planned out several routes that we could do depending on the weather, time, and how we were feeling as the day wore on. We left St Andrews around 6am and headed up the A9. It had been 2 years since I had last been to Aviemore and for some reason I thought it was along the main motorway. Oops, missed the turn and took my first visit to Inverness :? After a bit of a detour we arrived at the Glenmore Lodge, geared up, and headed out around 9:30 in the bright sunshine. The walk up to the Ryvoan Pass was easy going and quite scenic. Lochan Uaine was equally impressive with its turquoise-green color. We made good progress up the shoulder of Bynack More despite the path repair that was taking place. We arrived at the summit by noon and had lunch, took pics, and had a few laughs.

When a large group of jean-clad walkers arrived we packed up and set off down toward the little barns beyond the summit. From Bynack More we decided to head over A'Choinneach and down to Loch Avon for a better view of the surrounding peaks. The sun was blazing and sadly many of my pics were overexposed, really need a filter of some sort. After a good rest on a giant flat rock overlooking Loch Avon we set off for Cairn Gorm. There is an easy to spot path heading up the southeastern slope of Cairn Gorm near the Saddle which eventually fades away. Cairn Gorm was my 2nd hill ever and I remember it nearly killing me 2 years ago. Once the path faded away we simply made a b-line for the summit, the ground was solid but it was still another slog to me. Adam blazed a trail in rapid time while Cynthia and I slowly followed. At the top we were rewarded with a better view of the ever growing cloud inversion that was creeping into the western Cairngorms. Two trips up Cairn Gorm, two inversions for me, nice.

At the top we plotted our descent and after agreeing that the ski center section would be the least attractive route we headed off over Cnap Coire na Spreidhe to follow the ridge that parallels Strath Nethy. This gave us great views back to the side of Bynack More and north to Inverness. Once we reached Stac na h-lolaire we headed down a stalkers path to the left toward Lochan na Beinne. From there we picked up a path shown on the map that leads back to the main path from Glenmore Lodge just before Lochan Uaine. Sadly, the path, according to my GPS, vanished. We followed the GPS as best we could to try and stay on course, but the ground was really wet and unpleasant. We ended up trekking through the forest for the last hour or so of the day. In the end we had to descend steeply down through a much thicker bit of forest alongside a small stream to reach the main path. Cynthia made the statement that this was where we get stories of pixies and fairies, but despite the beauty of the forest we only found ticks and marshy ground underfoot. I certainly owe my friends a pint for leading them off in this direction. In retrospect, the best way back would have been to carry on along the ridge and walk down Mam Suim to reach the main path as it heads into Strath Nethy. It's a shame the path shown on the map was overgrown, or nonexistent altogether. Nevertheless, it was a splendid day out with good company and equally good views all around the Cairngorms. Total time for this route was 8 1/2 hours.

Stretch

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Loch a Gharbh-choire.jpg

Path repair on Bynack More.jpg

Summit of Bynack More.jpg

Barns on Bynack More.jpg

Little Barns of Bynack.jpg

Bynack More from A Choinneach.jpg

Trekking across A Choinneach.jpg

Cairn Gorm and Cnap Coire na Spreidhe.jpg

Loch Avon.jpg

Up the southeastern slope of Cairn Gorm.jpg

Beinn Mheadhoin from Cairn Gorm.jpg

Loch Etchachan from Cairn Gorm.jpg

Admiring the approaching inversion.jpg

Stac na h-lolaire.jpg

Looking for fairies and pixies.jpg
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Bynack More and Cairn Gorm

Postby kevsbald » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:58 pm

I thought I saw you on the summit!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Stretch » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:59 pm

kevsbald wrote:I thought I saw you on the summit!

Was it the reflection of my milk bottle Kev? :lol:
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby Milesy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:00 pm

brilliant. going up cairn gorm tomorrow. Did the inversion get any closer? I hope I get one tomorrow but a close one!
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby kevsbald » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:00 pm

Are you taking the ****?
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Stretch » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:05 pm

Milesy wrote:brilliant. going up cairn gorm tomorrow. Did the inversion get any closer? I hope I get one tomorrow but a close one!

It may have Milesy but we were gone by then. It was coming across Beinn Mheadhoin when we descended. From what I saw yesterday I'd have to think that there was a larger inversion to the north of Cairn Gorm, hope you get one as well.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby Milesy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:11 pm

Tomorrows forcast is a high level inversion. 8)

A generally cloudy day over the Northern cairngorms and in as far as Lochnagar. Over the rest of the area there will be some early morning fog and mist patches in the glens. It will also have been another cold night with a touch of frost at first. After this clears then it will be another fine day with some good sunny spells. Although the Northern Cairngorms and Lochnagar will be cloudy, the tops of this layer will be around 900 metres so the tops will poke through into the blue skies above. Temperatures will also rise as you climb through 900 metres and the winds will fall calm.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby Alan S » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:11 pm

Cracking pics again stretch 8)
Hope to be up this way again soon
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Alastair S » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:14 pm

Excellent Stretch - looks like you had a cracking day & the photos you have posted are great.

Did pretty much the same route in August but took a more westerly route back and encountered the same trackless nightmare in Glenmore Forest. Are there still patches of last year's snow on Cairngorm?
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Stretch » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:31 pm

Thanks Alan and Alastair.

Looked at your previous report for the similar route Alastair, maybe it's time they update the OS map for this! Our path back to the main path from the small lochan vanished, but one did keep running around higher up, I'd say this was a random stalkers path instead of the one shown on the map.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby blueyed » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:59 am

looks like a truly great day!
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:24 pm

Looks like we're using up all the good weather this week Stretch :lol: - let's hope there is some left come the end of the month... Great colours in these pics - the light at this time of year is lovely :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby alanmurray » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:16 pm

Fab photos Stretch - what a day you got.
Still gotta record my Cairn Gorm experience - similar day in the snow.
alanmurray
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:33
Fionas:4   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland